Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo
    replied
    Thanks for these links! I just ordered the second option.

Leave a comment:

• BillDownUnder
    replied
    Potchefstroom, kerel!

Leave a comment:

• BrettZZR
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnieBGood View Post
    I am proud to say my hometown is the birth place of Brad and Darryn Binder actually.
    Poitjie Stroom?!! Mooi man! I went to 'College' back when the dead sea was still in ICU.

Leave a comment:

• Moise
    replied
    I had the same issue with a false neutral between 5th and 6th when I bought my Zed at 25,000 miles. It had been dealer serviced from new, and they had used a dino oil.

I changed to a Silkolene semi, which improved the shift quality but I still had the occasional false neutral. So thinking more is better, I changed to a full synthetic and that was the end of the false neutrals. The shift quality improved further and stayed consistent for the life of the oil, although I did have an oil leak from the valve cover to deal with some time later.

I use Penrite oils, which are Australian and unlikely to be sold where you are. Shell Advance full synthetic is a good quality and underrated oil.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Moise; 01-06-2022, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnieBGood
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    I’ve been running Motul semi synthetic in all of my bikes for years. My drag racing motorcycle mechanic turned me on to it when I had my ZZR and it’s been my go to ever since.
    Well, that settles it then, I'm going to pick up 4 liters of Motul 10w40 5100 this afternoon then.

Leave a comment:

• NotDeadYet
    replied
    I’ve been running Motul semi synthetic in all of my bikes for years. My drag racing motorcycle mechanic turned me on to it when I had my ZZR and it’s been my go to ever since.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnieBGood
    replied
    South Africa, I am proud to say my hometown is the birth place of Brad and Darryn Binder actually.

I've used Motul in the past on my hondas and I had zero issues but with the BMWs I switched over to Castrol as a lot of people recommended it and it served me well.

Leave a comment:

• BillDownUnder
    replied
    What country are you in, Johnny?
    I remember the Motul brand. I have used the semi-synthetic in the past.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnieBGood
    replied
    Thank you NotDeadYet, I appreciate the welcome.

Haha, speaking of oil, BillDownUnder... I have been struggling to get the oil that I've seen recommended on this site. In my country, I unfortunately only have access to the Motul, Castrol, and Shell. I am inclined to go with the Motul 4T 10w40 but now to decide between the 5100 (semi-synthetic) or the 7100 (full-synthetic). I have heard rumors that the ZZRs, like the BMWs I've had in the past, do not appreciate full synthetic oil, is this true?

After a lengthy discussion with my wife the other evening I told her that I have grown quite fond of the ZZR and don't think I will ever sell it. If we are lucky the ZZRs will follow a similar trend to the Honda CBXs and become a collector's item someday. The right setting is there, there weren't many of them sold, the styling is very different from the conventional bikes of that era and they are fast as hell. Perhaps the ZX12 is a better contender. Either way, I don't think I will ever be selling the ZZR, she is part of the family.

P.S. I promised the missus we'd look at a smaller motorcycle for her around this year. I've been looking for something that will be driveable for her but will still mean I can have some fun without getting myself into too much trouble. So far I've been keeping my eye out for an ER6f.

Leave a comment:

• BillDownUnder
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnieBGood View Post
    I have discovered a perhaps more immediate concern which is that I sometimes get stuck between the gears, mostly between 1st and 2nd and 5th and 6th. I suspect a bent fork but am weary of opening up the gearbox. Is it possible that this could be a result of the tensioner? Or maybe it is just a bad shifting habit of mine? I have really tried to go easy and avoid shifting quickly but it only seems to mildly solve the problem. Speaking of which, I have noticed that my ZZR really does not want to quickshift. I tried it maybe once and she refused and never attempted it again. Is this a common thing in all ZZR1200s or am I potentially dealing with a bigger problem?
    Could be an oil issue. Put good oil in (i hope I don't start an other oil thread here........)

Leave a comment:

• NotDeadYet
    replied
    Welcome to the site. The ZZR1200 is the bond that keeps us all together. Most if not all of the members here have either had one or still have one in the stable. Many have gone on to other bikes but the ZZR still holds a special place in all of our hearts.

You will find a great group here with a wealth of knowledge on the ZZR. You’ve already received lots of little tips from some of our long time members. Post up any other questions you may have and someone will chime in with the answers. Get her set up the way you want and enjoy the ride.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnieBGood
    replied
    Thank you everyone for the replies, the information has greatly helped me. I hope everyone has had a wonderful festive season and may this new year hold the best of adventures for you.

Unfortunately, I was a bit more preoccupied during the holidays than I had originally hoped. I did however get the opportunity to take the old girl out for a ride or two and I have to say I fall head over heels for her every time I ride her. Perhaps the scariest thing for me is that I have still not properly had a chance to ride her to her full potential. The amount of power the ZZR has is astounding and still surprises me every time.

I have had a chance to have a look at the clutch cover through the oil fill cap and am afraid that the scoring is present although it is slightly more evident than the scoring in your picture, BillDownUnder. I have committed to going through with the James Compton fix and will be purchasing the part as I am also confident that this will be the more permanent fix.

On one of my drives, I did get a chance to go on a bendy road, and as I have become more comfortable with the weight of the bike I did lean her quite a bit. She is quite a heavy bike and one has to fight with her in the apex but otherwise, I am quite pleased with her agility.

I have discovered a perhaps more immediate concern which is that I sometimes get stuck between the gears, mostly between 1st and 2nd and 5th and 6th. I suspect a bent fork but am weary of opening up the gearbox. Is it possible that this could be a result of the tensioner? Or maybe it is just a bad shifting habit of mine? I have really tried to go easy and avoid shifting quickly but it only seems to mildly solve the problem. Speaking of which, I have noticed that my ZZR really does not want to quickshift. I tried it maybe once and she refused and never attempted it again. Is this a common thing in all ZZR1200s or am I potentially dealing with a bigger problem?

Great thanks to BillDownUnder, CHARLIE, Moise, and ramblin66. The advice is greatly appreciated. Below is a picture of a breakfast run we had this past Sunday and my beautiful ZZR1200.

IMG-20220103-WA0016.jpg

Leave a comment:

• ramblin66
    replied
    JohnnieBGood

Welcome, Congrats and "Great first post"!!

1. There is some lugging in the first and second gear below 3000 rpm? Is this common? Would I be correct in thinking that it is perhaps that the carbs need to be synced? Its almost as if she has a misfire but then again it's not misfiring because she pulls nicely through the rev range. Honestly, I haven't really had the guts to open the throttle completely yet however I am starting to suspect it may be a carb issue.
    2. Is there any solution to the numbing buzz between 4000 and 6000 rpm on the highway? My wife and I plan on doing some touring in December and between 4000 and 6000 rpm happens to be right where my cruising speed is in 6th gear. On short drives, it's not such an issue but going on a short drive over the weekend I noticed my hand getting pretty numb after about an hour.
    3. Any other advice or things I should look out for on the ZZR1200s? Preventative maintenance and such? As far as I gather they are pretty reliable and don't tend to have been hard-driven or abused by their owners.
    Big O covered most of it in his reply...

1. Lugging.... Try a few tanks with Seafoam additive. That should clean the carbs/jets if the lugging is caused by some carb gunk. If that doesn't work, you may need to clean the carbs, specifically the jets. If you mean "lugging" as is "slow to power up"... then shimming the carb needles should help.

2. I found that shimming the carb needles also reduced the buzz. The next thing to try would be to change the sprocket ratio to try and move the buzz to a RPM number where you don't ride it much.

3. Be sure to hook up the vacuum lines correctly when replacing the air box after maintenance. If you have a stock seat, finding a Corbin adds much comfort. Lots of folks forget that there are actually 2 oil drain bolts. Be sure to remove both when changing the oil. Changing the brake fluid can make a BIG difference is braking, as can stainless brake lines.

Cheers
    R66

Leave a comment:

• Moise
    replied
    This does not seem to be as serious a problem for the ZZR as the ZRX. From memory, there has been maybe one catastrophic failure reported here, despite some quite badly marked clutch baskets.

Mine had some scoring when I checked and I did the original tube mod, which stopped any further damage. As Bill said, do try to avoid starting the engine with the clutch disengaged.

All you are trying to do is limit the tensioner from moving very far if it unlocks while starting. The tube mod will do that, but you do want the tube far enough along the rod to only allow a little movement, although I am not sure if anyone still sells the tubes.

Otherwise either of the mods you have highlighted should work fine.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• CHARLIE
    replied
    I'm still running an 02 (purchased new in April 02) which I don't have a lot of miles
    on it, but it is knocking on 20 years old. A lot of short rides myself over the years.
    I did the clutch plate scoring mod years ago. Mine wasn't bad but easy mod for the
    piece of mind. My Zed has been probably the best bike I've ever owned. Carb shim thing
    several years ago, Corbin seat, carbon slipons, 05 front forks, (has compression and rebound,
    02 didn't) ZG screen, and that's about it. Just gas and go mostly. I do all my service on it, always have.
    No shops close by and maybe a trust issue as well. I'll keep her til she quits, or I do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X