ZZR1200 Fork rebound question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZR1200 Fork rebound question

Is it possible to simply upgrade my 2003 fork to the 2004-05 and add rebound by simply adding the top part with the adjustment, or is there also a very $$ cartridge change needed too?

Why not just buy the complete 04-05 fork tubes and swap them out? Or am I not understanding your question? I can't see any reason to take the guts out of the newer set, just to slide them into the old for tubes...

Comment

Originally posted by M.Rad. View Post
      Why not just buy the complete 04-05 fork tubes and swap them out? Or am I not understanding your question? I can't see any reason to take the guts out of the newer set, just to slide them into the old for tubes...
      Exactly, I did this with some 05 units. Slide yours out, slide these in, couple of hours, your done.
      Mine is an 02 by the way, the 05 unit with both adjustments, works great. Not a day-light dark
      mod, but some difference.
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

I considered a swap-out, but not really tooled to do it. If all I need to do is swap out the caps - that seems way easier unless that isn't the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ajsenol View Post
          I considered a swap-out, but not really tooled to do it. If all I need to do is swap out the caps - that seems way easier unless that isn't the solution.
          It's not the solution. The rebound adjustment is in the damping mechanism in the bottom of the forks.

It's not a difficult job to swap the forks.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Moise; 11-14-2021, 04:24 AM.
          "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

All you have to do is take of the brake calipers, front wheel, fender and loosen the upper and lower triple clamp bolts.

Fork tubes should slide right out.

Biggest issue is finding a way to support the front end off the ground while removing the tubes.

Don't know if putting the bike on the centerstand and weighting down the rear end will raise the front end enough to do that?????

Should be able to do it in less than 2 hours I'd think.
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Ok, you're convincing me to do the swap -but as you pointed out the problem (that I have) is getting the front tire in the air to do it safely. So, I'm now wondering that if I got a pair of 04-05 donor forks, if I can swap the internals without having to physically remove them. the condition of my forks and tube is excellent and I'd hate to give up on that part.

Comment

Ok, you're convincing me to do the swap -but as you pointed out the problem (that I have) is getting the front tire in the air to do it safely. So, I'm now wondering that if I got a pair of 04-05 donor forks, if I can swap the internals without having to physically remove them. the condition of my forks and tube is excellent and I'd hate to give up on that part.
                I believe by using your centerstand you'll have enough clearance to pull the tubes.

Just get a couple of cheap, 50 pound bags of Quickrete and lay them across the pillion seat portion. That should get the front end in the air.

Other option would be to lift the front end from the rafters in a garage with some ratchet straps attached to to top triple clamp.

if you have a garage that is
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

What he said ....

Weigh down the back, and put a couple of wood blocks underneath (put a rag on the wood to avoid scratches).
                  I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

I used to jack up the front with a block of wood under the headers and an old scissor jack. If you check the Kawi service manual, this is recommended method. There is a special tool listed which is basically a scissor jack with a rail to go under the headers.

Just make sure that the jack is aligned across the bike, not in line with it.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I have successfully raised my bike by using ratchet straps to the header board of my garage. If you use the center stand and weight the rear, you can also gain some more clearance by letting the air out of the rear tire, or remove the the rear wheel altogether.

Comment

I wheel the bike onto planks, then put the mainstand on 3x9 blocks. In this position I can take the belly pan off in one piece (much easier and quicker).

For work on the fork I lift the front wheel with a scissor jack, and put jackstands under the frame tubes under the engine. Although last time just left it on the scissor jack - you need to be a little weary to not shove the bike around too much because it wont take much to push the whole lot over and spoil your day.

IMG_20211025_162513.jpg IMG_20211025_172351 (1).jpg
                        Time flies like an arrow;
                        Fruit flies like a banana!

Comment

If you turn the scissor jack 90°, it is much more stable. I figured that out after a slightly scary moment...

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

yeah, that's the kind of scary I'm wanting to avoid - and I don't have overhangs to hoist the bike up unfortunately. How about this idea. Get the 04-05 forks and transplant the innerds while leaving the bike up on its stand? If possible, then I can do them one at a time without a lot of disassembly?

Comment

How about you find a set of forks and take them to someone that can do it for you?

It doesn't sound like you're up to the task or the challenge, this is standard fork maintenance procedure.

You should also change fork oil and install new set of seals too while you have it apart.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Working...
                              X