Speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo cable

Speedo on the 1200 stopped working all of a sudden.
    Closer inspection found this:

Speedo.JPG

New cable, ex-Japan via Kawasaki dealer, is about 6 weeks here.
    It requires me to take off the front upper fairing to get to the speedo if/when I get a new cable.

I'm attempting to fold that flange over a bit if I can.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Folding the flange over a bit worked (so far).
    I thought I would test it by riding to my usual Kawi shop. Guess what - they had a cable hidden away in their store, most likely the only in in the country.
    Anyway, I will put that on later.
    For now I can go on my planned ride tomorrow with the temporary repair.
    I am a bit pissed off with Kawasaki however, that this speedo cable only lasted 18 years.....
    Then again, the parts man told me that these cables now come from China, and might not last as long.
    Last edited by BillDownUnder; 05-18-2020, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Good info. Sounds like you were unlucky once, and lucky twice.

Comment

Regarding the fairing, I recall doing a speedo cable R&R with the fairing in place. It was tight work for my large hands. FWIW. ZZR fairings are a real pain.
        How To Cheat on Personality Tests
        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
        (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
        (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
        (c) I never worry much about anything.
        (d) I don't care for books or music much.
        (e) I love my wife and children.
        (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
        From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
          Folding the flange over a bit worked (so far).
          I thought I would test it by riding to my usual Kawi shop. Guess what - they had a cable hidden away in their store, most likely the only in in the country.
          Anyway, I will put that on later.
          For now I can go on my planned ride tomorrow with the temporary repair.
          I am a bit pissed off with Kawasaki however, that this speedo cable only lasted 18 years.....
          Then again, the parts man told me that these cables now come from China, and might not last as long.
          Glad you had some luck at the dealer. Carby and airbox parts are all ex Japan.
          Always have a go yourself. Remember that a novice built the Ark. And experts built the Titanic.

Comment

I found the cable at Mack1 Midland, when everyone else told me there were no cables in the country.
            Old cable worked fine for the ride today (around 300km).

Comment

I had a raccoon run into my front left wheel yesterday on the way to work. I was doing about 50 on a straight backroad.
              Saw him coming at the last second but only enough time to brace for the impact which I’m guessing was where the speedo cable attaches because it stopped working on the was home from work. Or just a coincidence. I had one stop working last fall and had to put in a slightly used one in my high mileage work bike so I ordered three so at least I can replace it when I’m off this weekend.I’ll have to look to see if they’re made in China is not.

Comment

Working...
              X