Rear brake rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a familiar story Bill.

I had to pull the front caliper off my new to me 2013 ZX 14 R in order to get the front wheel off for a new tire.

The front wheel hadn't been removed for about four years (since the last set of tires was installed).

I ran into the same problem you did.

Stripped out the caliper bolt!

I tried the same methods as you did to no avail. I even tried drilling it out without success.

Ended up having to do this:

DSC02262.JPG

Wasn't pretty but it was the only way I could get the bolt out.

I made sure to put some anti seize on ALL of the bolts before I reinstalled them.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

That's a last ditch effort ....
      Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
        That's a last ditch effort ....
        It definitely was.

I was just happy that I could get get it removed even with that drastic measure.

Otherwise do't know what I would have done.

Definitely fooked for sure!
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

This isn't about you and your cobbled up junk, Mike.
          BTW, those ZZR1200 rim strips are awesome!
          KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Where's me green when you need him!
            KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
              Where's me green when you need him!
              Right here!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                BTW, those ZZR1200 rim strips are awesome!
                Found them on eBay, from the UK if I remember right.

BTW, I also stripped one of the rotor bolts. KHI likes to use red loctite to make sure things don't fall out. I sometimes believe they go beyond torque values when tightening.

I should have it all back together today sometime (7:40am here right now).

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Job done! All went together well.

Caliper with ZRX bolts fitted.

IMG_4008.JPG

New brake pads:

IMG_4009.JPG

On the bike, brake fluid added and bled:

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

Test ride: did some hard braking to bed in the new pads against the new rotor. Braking gradually got better.
                  Overall happy with the end results.

Rotor I used: here.

Comment

Looks better than new

Comment

Yep, looking good. I guess I'm giving those a shot too. Damn, and I'd gone for over 2 months without spending any
                      money on bike stuff, I recon that's OK though.
                      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                        Looks better than new
                        Ditto!

My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                        http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Just to get back into this old thread. The Arashi rear disk for the ZRX is the same as the ZZR
                          PN:DBS073W is the one I put on my 02 ZED. Fits and works perfect. I went with the front too
                          from these guys. Work well and basically half the price of most others and seem to work just
                          fine. Took a couple of rides to "break them in" , well "brake" them in. I went with EBC organic
                          pads, front and rear, so far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                            Just to get back into this old thread. The Arashi rear disk for the ZRX is the same as the ZZR
                            PN:DBS073W is the one I put on my 02 ZED. Fits and works perfect. I went with the front too
                            from these guys. Work well and basically half the price of most others and seem to work just
                            fine. Took a couple of rides to "break them in" , well "brake" them in. I went with EBC organic
                            pads, front and rear, so far, so good.
                            Keep an eye on those pads. I don't use the rear hard and wore out a set of EBC organic pads in a few thousand miles.

I went to Brembos after that, which were great.
                            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I just went with the organics for being easier on the disk. Next time maybe the Brembos.
                              This brake set up works well though. And didn't really break the bank in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                                I just went with the organics for being easier on the disk. Next time maybe the Brembos.
                                This brake set up works well though. And didn't really break the bank in the process.
                                Yes, I fitted the EBC organics after replacing the rotor because a set of Ferodo sintered pads had worn it out.

I had no complaints about how well the rear brake worked with the EBC pads, but was surprised to find them nearly worn out after 4,000 miles.

The Bembo rear pads are sintered but use a special compound designed for rear brakes. They were about twice the price of the EBCs though!

I fitted EBC front rotors and EPFA pads soon after I bought the bike and they were still good when I sold it nearly 20,000 miles later.
                                "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                                99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                                X