Rear brake rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake rotor

I need to replace the rear rotor on my '02 1200.
    OEM is quite pricey, so I am considering Arashi.
    Has anyone fitted one of those on the rear of their 1200?

Thanks,

Bill.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

I've not used the Arashi brand specifically, but I did have a set of front brake discs on my ZX 14 that were made in China.

Bought them off E Bay for $200.

They worked fine. Especially for the money.

I would not have any issues buying them again. Especially a rear disc.
    Last edited by BIG O; 12-01-2019, 11:29 PM.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I bought an EBC for the ZZR1200, which I don't recall being very expensive. I've also used a Chinese wave rear rotor on the R1 with no problems.
      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

It seems that Arashi don't do a rear rotor for the ZZR.
        Any that they list for that model have 4 mount points, instead of the required 5.

I have ordered one for the ZRX from them. OEM model numbers for rear rotors for the 2 bikes differ slightly.
        Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
          It seems that Arashi don't do a rear rotor for the ZZR.
          Any that they list for that model have 4 mount points, instead of the required 5.

I have ordered one for the ZRX from them. OEM model numbers for rear rotors for the 2 bikes differ slightly.
          Should be fine, EBC list the same rear disc part number for both models.
          "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Thanks mate, good to know.
            I'll order the same Arashi rear disc as for the ZRX.

Comment

I found a Galfer for the Zed but haven't pulled the trigger yet. When I contacted Arashi
              on the rear for the Zed, they said they weren't manufacturing it right now. I don't
              know if the ZRX one will work or not. I am going with the Arashi on the front though.
              Most of the other brands are just too $$$. Probably because they have to pay racers
              to put them on their bikes. From what I hear from the quality of the Arashi stuff,
              they work really well on the street. I am going with the Galfer braided lines on everything
              though. Brake stuff all new, then just ride.
              Last edited by CHARLIE; 12-03-2019, 06:38 PM.
              "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
              but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Charlie, when the Arashi rear disc arrives (slow boat from China) in 3 or so weeks, I will report back.

For the front I went with these: click.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post

For the front I went with these: click.
                  Did you notice that those are also made in either Taiwan or China according to the ad?

Also, $AU $150 is about $101 American.

So, both discs for around $200 plus shipping.

I see Chinese manufactured for $150 with free shipping.

Just saying.

Hope they work out for you.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Yes, that is correct. I already have a set on the ZZR, and they are fine. I've ordered a set for the ZRX.
                    They come from either Taiwan or China, but are then quality checked in Brisbane.

Comment

I got the Galfer lines changed out, haven't ridden yet. I still need to replace
                      rotors though. After the holidays, then I'll try a set of those Arashi I guess.

Comment

I bought and fitted the Arashi rotor for the rear.

IMG_4004.JPG

Fits ok.

I have the wheel back on the bike, but I am servicing the rear caliper as well.

Removing the pistons from the caliper wasn't too hard (unlike on my ZRX, where the inside one was was totally stuck).

I removed the pads, then clamped the outer piston, pumped the brake lever, and the inner one came loose.

Getting the caliper apart though, was another matter.

Last edited by BillDownUnder; 02-10-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Where did you get one? I emailed Arashi direct a few weeks back and they told me they weren't making them right then.
                          Did they start making them again?

Comment

Moise pointed out that EBC lists the same rotor for the ZZR and the ZRX.

So, I ordered the ZRX1200 rotor from Arashi.

But, wait until I have the caliper back on, and taken it for a test ride in the next day or so. I will report back.

Comment

Servicing the rear caliper.

To split the caliper, a couple of hex bolts need to be removed from the caliper unit. This was easier said than done. They had not been removed for 18 years (age of the bike).
                              I used a properly fitting hex key. This started to strip the hex fitting on the bolts. I then used a socket/hex with socket driver, same again. Bolts would not budge, and the hex fitting was stripped. Next I hammered in a hex bolt removal tool. This simply stripped it further. Locking pliers wouldn't stay on the head of the bolts.

IMG_4005.JPG

In the end, I stuck the caliper in a vice, and used a hammer and chisel. Eventually the bolts came free.

IMG_4006.JPG

Replacement bolts here in Oz - none in the country. Ex-Japan, 4 weeks according to the Kawasaki dealer.

I noticed that the bolt was similar to the rear caliper bolt off my ZRX, so tried to order that. Same story.

Anyway, webike (japan.webike.net) had a pair here in 5 days.

IMG_4007.JPG

ZZR bolt on the left (has a "ridge"), ZRX bolt on the right.

I decided to go this way so that I can use a standard socket on the bolt, rather than risk stripping in the future.
                              I had no problems like this with my ZRX rear caliper.

I just need to re-assemble the caliper. Pistons are clean, new seals are ready, as is the rubber grease.

It may take a couple of days - one of my offspring is moving to Toronto this week.
                              Last edited by BillDownUnder; 02-10-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X