Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Ownership - Parts Availability?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Hamburger, did you see the zzr I posted in my post? Might be a little bit of a haul for you, not sure where in Mass you are. It's way up in northern NY, but looks clean and maintained. Hes asking $3000, but would probably take $2500 or maybe even low 2's. He might be leaving the country and is motivated to sell.

    Me personally, I won't buy anything from a dealer. Too many fees, no "history" on the bike. Prices are too high, gotta pay full sales tax LOL. But I'm also willing to drive many hours if I want it. I also wrench for a living so repairs aren't a big deal.


    https://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/m...989216900.html

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by 6bt View Post
      Hamburger, did you see the zzr I posted in my post? Might be a little bit of a haul for you, not sure where in Mass you are. It's way up in northern NY, but looks clean and maintained. Hes asking $3000, but would probably take $2500 or maybe even low 2's. He might be leaving the country and is motivated to sell.

      Me personally, I won't buy anything from a dealer. Too many fees, no "history" on the bike. Prices are too high, gotta pay full sales tax LOL. But I'm also willing to drive many hours if I want it. I also wrench for a living so repairs aren't a big deal.


      https://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/m...989216900.html
      I may look into that! Local is preferred because of time restraints, sometimes I'm willing to pay a bit extra for it. But that is quite a lot cheaper, it'd definitely give me my ZZR fix and have plenty of fun money left over! Thanks!

      Comment


      • #33
        Update: I contacted the seller, he was just about to pull it from CL after discovering it has damage caused by the chain tensioner arm. I also learned the GIVI mounts for the ZZR are tricky to get ahold of (something about ordering them from Spain) so I'll keep an eye on the '03 I checked out.
        Last edited by hamburgerhotdog; 10-25-2019, 03:11 PM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Ah bummer. Maybe it could be had even cheaper and be a good learning/repair experience?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by 6bt View Post
            Ah bummer. Maybe it could be had even cheaper and be a good learning/repair experience?
            Not a bad idea but I'm searching for a ride-able bike while I service my DR350. The suspension has never been touched in its 22 years!
            There's an '02 in Loudon that popped up. https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/loud...008267786.html

            I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on that $4350 '03. Looking at ~1yr old for sale threads on this forum, it's steep, farkles considered. Hell, I've been looking at an '07 Sportster 1200 with 5k miles for $3000. Quite a difference from a ZZR but value-wise, the thought of spending an extra $1350 for the ZZR doesn't sit well with me. There's a long winter ahead so hopefully my patience will pay off.

            Did you end up buying one btw?

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by hamburgerhotdog View Post

              Not a bad idea but I'm searching for a ride-able bike while I service my DR350. The suspension has never been touched in its 22 years!
              There's an '02 in Loudon that popped up. https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/loud...008267786.html

              I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on that $4350 '03. Looking at ~1yr old for sale threads on this forum, it's steep, farkles considered. Hell, I've been looking at an '07 Sportster 1200 with 5k miles for $3000. Quite a difference from a ZZR but value-wise, the thought of spending an extra $1350 for the ZZR doesn't sit well with me. There's a long winter ahead so hopefully my patience will pay off.

              Did you end up buying one btw?
              Here's a couple more. Especially the 04' with 900 miles.

              ‚Äčhttps://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy...980264800.html

              https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/m...008510298.html

              I looked at a 06 Hayabusa yesterday..$2500. probably worth it but was pretty rough.

              I hear ya on the value thing.. it sways most of my purchase decisions. Haven't snagged that 05 yet.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by hamburgerhotdog View Post

                Not a bad idea but I'm searching for a ride-able bike while I service my DR350. The suspension has never been touched in its 22 years!
                There's an '02 in Loudon that popped up. https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/loud...008267786.html

                I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on that $4350 '03. Looking at ~1yr old for sale threads on this forum, it's steep, farkles considered. Hell, I've been looking at an '07 Sportster 1200 with 5k miles for $3000. Quite a difference from a ZZR but value-wise, the thought of spending an extra $1350 for the ZZR doesn't sit well with me. There's a long winter ahead so hopefully my patience will pay off.

                Did you end up buying one btw?
                First, I'd be weary of buying a bike with a rebuilt engine. Might sound weird but........

                Second, don't know how someone can be considering either a ZZR or a Sportster???? Completely different bikes?????

                Third, if you are overly concerned about the "best value" then maybe the ZZR isn't for you???????


                Maybe I'm just more about the passion of motorcycling and the bike I ride


                Regardless, hope you find what you are looking for even if it is next spring




                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

                Comment


                • #38
                  I haven't ridden many bikes in my life so I still have my feelers out. I know what I want to do, just not what I want. I like that the ZZR seems to be a swiss army knife kind of bike. Eat up highway miles but also have some fun exploring back roads. And something a bit more classy to ride to a Sunday brunch than a muddy dual sport ha!

                  The resale value is off-putting for buying dealership bikes. I'm hoping to snag something before spring because I ride year round!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post

                    It's a carbureted bike, so don't let it sit without riding it more than 3-4 weeks.
                    Can't this mostly be avoided as a problem if you turn off the petcock and let the bike run until the carbs run dry? I used to do that with my 2003 ZZR600 at the end of riding season.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Mark View Post

                      Can't this mostly be avoided as a problem if you turn off the petcock and let the bike run until the carbs run dry? I used to do that with my 2003 ZZR600 at the end of riding season.
                      I've let my carbed thumper sit for months with an empty bowl and it always started up with minimal fuss. Not sure if the extra 3 carbs would make a difference...

                      Speaking of the ZZR600, there are quite a few nice ones around me in my price range! Might not be a bad option to get my feet wet in the 4cyl world and see if the jump in power to the 1200 is necessary. https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mc...999006002.html
                      Last edited by hamburgerhotdog; 11-01-2019, 02:58 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X