Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Ownership - Parts Availability?

Hello!

In my search for a second bike (I've rode dual sport for 3 years now), I stumbled across a loaded '03 ZZR1200 at a local dealer. 24k miles, US $3,xxx with steering damper, side and top cases, and custom seat. I've looked at VFR800's and while popular, the complicated maintenance irks me. I'm a 23 y/o rider and part of the fun is learning to do my own repairs (and affordably). Naked bikes seem to be all the rage now but I want a faired, comfier bike to eat some highway miles so I can explore across state lines. Typical of an early 20-something-year-old, I've looked at supersports (GSXR 750 comes to mind) but used ones NEVER have clean titles. It's hard to find one that hasn't been abused by an idiot.

As much as I love the thought of owning this bike, its short production run and availability in the United States is a concern. I'm wondering what ZZR1200 owners in the US have to say about their experience maintaining their machines. For instance, I want to replace the (imo ugly) touring seat this used bike has and replace it something closer to stock but ebay's offerings start at $150 for worn condition! Hopefully more crucial parts aren't this expensive?

I can't seem to shake the feeling that my money may be better spent elsewhere, whether that be towards a newer <$4,000 used bike or make the plunge for a brand new bike. I've never rode something this big before, but I hope that it's a bike I'll ride into the ground because I can kiss resale value goodbye!

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Spencer

Hey Spencer and welcome to the site! You have come to the right place!
    There is always a wild chance it may have been owned by someone on this site? Where are you located approx?
    In general you will hear nothing but love for those bikes on here and a bottomless pit of knowledge about them if you go for it.
    If it has been well cared for it will last just about forever! Pretty much bullet proof. As an interstate missile and at your age she'll handle anything you throw at her. Yeah, big and beautiful and not for the limp wristed but even today not giving away much to current machines in real world performance.
    If she is truly a 'Minter' then 3 grand gets you a lot of motorcycle. No more expensive to run than anything else and cheaper than many if you do your own spannering.
    No absolute way to predict whether for you. If you get a test ride you will know?
    PS don't worry about a little top end rattle on start up! They all do it and it means nothing. Let us know if you pull the trigger and pics to follow!! Good luck!
    Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
    A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

Hello Spencer and welcome to the site as well as possible ZZR ownership.

Doubt you'll find a better bike for that price. Especially considering the bike has a steering damper (Hyper Pro possibly?) as well as side and top cases.

As for the seat, many of us went with a Corbin saddle. They are still out there and can usually be found for $200 or less. While that might seem expensive, you need to take into account that it is a quality piece of hardware that will last forever and much better than the stock plank that Kawasaki calls a seat.

Probably not a bike out there that is much easier to maintain and for that matter that's about all there is on a ZZR 1200. Basic maintenance for the most part. If you can change your own oil and filter then you are pretty much set. Other than that and a chain adjustment now and then you're set.

The engine is bulletproof as Kawasaki has used it or a variant of it for many years. There are ZZR 1200's running around out there with over 100,000 miles on them and still going strong!!!

Keep in mind that it is a big, heavy bike but once you get it going you are going to love it.

If you are looking for a sport touring bike to put miles on in comfort and with power then you found the bike.

Also, you have also found the place to have any questions answered and source part should you decide to purchase the bike.

oh, one more thing, insurance should cost close to nothing for you on a ZZR as compared to some of the other bikes you mentioned.

Now.......................

Where you located?

Have a link to the dealer that has the bike for sale?

Mike

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Welcome aboard Spencer

I put 112,000 miles on my 2002 and it would still be running great - albeit with a fatigued suspension - if I hadn't been inattentive on a wet road.

The clutch slave cylinder gasket started leaking at 100,000 miles. That is the only problem it ever had.

I sold my 2005 to my brother and I've put 40,000 miles on my 2003.

It's a carbureted bike, so don't let it sit without riding it more than 3-4 weeks.

Valve adjustments are recommended at 7k, 15k, & 23k miles.

Synch the carbs once in a while, keep it off the pavement, and do the regular maintenance - chain clean & lube, oil & filter changes, clean your air filter, etc, and the bike is bulletproof. Squirt some grease in the five (5) grease zerks on the rear suspension linkage once in a while and note that there are two (2) oil pan drain bolts.

If it wasn't for this site and the friends, the advice, and occasional parts that pop up I could not continue to own this bike and ride it as much as I do.

This site is an enabler for all of us that ride ZZR1200s and you get to hang with some good schmucks in the bargain

Some guys have moved on the Concours1400 or ZX-14R, but the ZZR1200 brought us all together.

ronayers.com and bikebandit and a few other sites have plenty of parts to keep it running. Plastics are hard to find so don't wreck the thing.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
        ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

17 years of ownership of my 02 Zed. Best bike I've ever owned. Doesn't
          have a ton of miles on it but it is pretty damn reliable. And so are the members
          on this site. Welcome to the site too.
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I concur, any bike with a dedicated following is invaluable. The maintenance schedule definitely sounds manageable for me. I've done tire changes, oil/filter, valve adjustments, and a carburetor rebuild on my single cylinder DR350SE, a few more cylinders can't hurt. I'll look into carb synching.

I live in Massachusetts, the bike listing is here: https://www.momsouth.com/Pre-owned-I...oxboro-5979897
            It's quite the package and with Saturday bringing nice weather, I think I should check it out. It really is ready to hit the road. The insurance quote I received is shockingly affordable.

It's hard to tell from the photos but the steering damper looks a bit similar to the red/gold Hyper Pro. Are they well regarded?

I'm glad I found this community, I appreciate the help thus far!

Comment

I checked out the link to the listing. That’s looks like a clean well appointed ZZR. I see what you mean about the seat. It looks like a BarcaLounger but I’ll bet it’s comfortable. It might be a Russell or a Tobin. Given the ZZR lettering I’m thinking Tobin. Ride it for a bit - it might grow on you. That bike looks like it’s set up to do some serious miles!

Welcome to the site.
              Last edited by NotDeadYet; 10-17-2019, 08:02 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by hamburgerhotdog View Post
                Thanks everyone for the welcome! I concur, any bike with a dedicated following is invaluable. The maintenance schedule definitely sounds manageable for me. I've done tire changes, oil/filter, valve adjustments, and a carburetor rebuild on my single cylinder DR350SE, a few more cylinders can't hurt. I'll look into carb synching.

I live in Massachusetts, the bike listing is here: https://www.momsouth.com/Pre-owned-I...oxboro-5979897
                It's quite the package and with Saturday bringing nice weather, I think I should check it out. It really is ready to hit the road. The insurance quote I received is shockingly affordable.

It's hard to tell from the photos but the steering damper looks a bit similar to the red/gold Hyper Pro. Are they well regarded?

I'm glad I found this community, I appreciate the help thus far!
                Yes, that is a Hyper pro.

Had one on my ZZR. Nice peice of eqiptment.

Hell, if you bought that bike you could get quite a bit of your money back selling the farkles that you don't like.

It appears to be one hell of a deal.

Give it a ride and let us know.

Be great to have you as a member of our ZED community

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Y'know.. I was just looking back to your original post and had a smile at some thoughts.
                  Occurred to me.. don't know what your experience of big road burners is outside of dual sport history? It is quite a change!
                  Many of us here are used to fairly insane levels of power and thrust and forget what it was like many moons ago on the start of that trip.
                  If you do pull the trigger on this baby just know.. you are sunk for life! No goin' back unless you just don't cotton to that style of ride.
                  She is likely gonna scare the crap out of you first time out not least with sheer bulk and consciousness of just how much weight you are shuttling around. Don't worry! Once you adjust to having to muscle her a bit it becomes very reassuring. Beware though. If you have little experience at this level, take your time. Whack that throttle open the first time just make sure you have some room?
                  Brakes are well up to it but you are going to hit silly speeds maybe a LOT faster than ever before. Apologies if I am being unwittingly condescending? You may have more immersion than we know. Treat her with respect and take time to learn how she behaves and you will not regret taking her on.
                  She will still scare the pants off any up to date litre bike at least in sheer torque roll ons. Lotsa fun!
                  Go on! Make the leap to hyperspace!

Comment

Originally posted by philabeg View Post
                    Y'know.. I was just looking back to your original post and had a smile at some thoughts.
                    Occurred to me.. don't know what your experience of big road burners is outside of dual sport history? It is quite a change!
                    Many of us here are used to fairly insane levels of power and thrust and forget what it was like many moons ago on the start of that trip.
                    If you do pull the trigger on this baby just know.. you are sunk for life! No goin' back unless you just don't cotton to that style of ride.
                    She is likely gonna scare the crap out of you first time out not least with sheer bulk and consciousness of just how much weight you are shuttling around. Don't worry! Once you adjust to having to muscle her a bit it becomes very reassuring. Beware though. If you have little experience at this level, take your time. Whack that throttle open the first time just make sure you have some room?
                    Brakes are well up to it but you are going to hit silly speeds maybe a LOT faster than ever before. Apologies if I am being unwittingly condescending? You may have more immersion than we know. Treat her with respect and take time to learn how she behaves and you will not regret taking her on.
                    She will still scare the pants off any up to date litre bike at least in sheer torque roll ons. Lotsa fun!
                    Go on! Make the leap to hyperspace!
                    I will agree. If you are not familiar with what the Zed family of bikes is about, just take your time.
                    She'll put a smile on your face pretty quick, but this type of bike not respected will
                    hand you your own ass just as fast. I'll never sell mine, even if I had several more bikes.
                    Like I said before, best bike I've ever had, so far. Just keeps on giving.
                    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Just do it man. You might find a lower miles garage queen at that price but it most likely won't have all the goodies. When it's time to replace mine, I will most likely be searching for another 2005.

Comment

No test rides on sport machines unfortunately. I rode an Indian Scout which I was told has 100HP, impressive pull and comfort but not as sporty as I'd like. It doesn't like to lean deep!

I was quoted $4350 all said and done for the ZZR. Very good condition, new rear tire, battery, fluids. Even has a RAM mount. It's very intimidating to sit on, even the sound of the pipes put me in my place with what I might be getting myself into! Comfy but a behemoth.

I also checked out the FZ-07 which was my first thought for a second bike, I test rode one a couple years ago. Definitely a popular machine, there's a used 2017 with 666 miles (I told them to take it for a lap if I buy it) for $6500 all said and done. Steep! Craigslist seems to be $1000 cheaper but with a few thousand miles.

I'm still at the dealership, debating a deposit on the ZZR. They've got a "$300 off till the end of the month" tactic at play. Hmmmm!!

Comment

Oh dear! Haha! "A behemoth!" Remember .. it's only kinky the first time!
                          Seriously, IF you are keen.. lowball them. From what you say they are talking just over 4k with $300 off? Offer them 3750 and I bet they will bite. Your 'one time' offer or you walk away?
                          My guess is they are not overrun with buyers for it? It's a kind of a niche bike in a way and only for the seriously committed. Is that you? Or prepared to find out? Ultimately they are in business to sell. I'll bet whoever traded it got no more than 3k. So they are looking for a grand quick profit? Horse trading time. Are you buying cash or have a trade in? Money talks.
                          Dontcha just love it?
                          I detect you are maybe a tad wary of the upward leap in size and power. Whatever bike you buy you are moving up and gonna have to learn a whole new envelope. MT-07 quick little bike and will tour fine with a load. The ZZR is a different class. Trans continent if you choose with protection and comfort and last you forever just about. BTW it's amazing how the weight goes away once you are rolling. Your alternative is to move up in size in stages?
                          My history on that, many many moons ago, was from a 400 twin Suzi to a Honda 750 four. That was a leap at the time. Just have to treat it with respect to begin with.
                          Christ you'd think it was me selling it!!
                          I do get your dilemma! I think we were all there some time or another. Has to be your gut that decides you and don't ignore that. There will be other opportunities later if you decide no.
                          Got us hooked now to know the outcome! It's a drug waiting for you. We are all junkies here! LOL

Comment

Go in with cash and offer them $3500. The ZZR is a bit of a rare bird, I’m sure they don’t have a path of people beating the door down for it.
                            Last edited by NotDeadYet; 10-19-2019, 02:10 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

PS BTW What the f*** is "no test ride " about??

Comment

Working...
                              X