How are the Michelin Pilot Road 5's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are the Michelin Pilot Road 5's?

I need new tires, front and rear (current rear has a nasty hole in it). The ones on it are the Road 2's (yeah, I haven't ridden much in the last two years) and unless I special order, cycle gear only has the Road 5's at their shops. I loved the Road 2's, so I'm hoping that the 5's are at least as good. Probably gonna drive down to Plano tomorrow morning and get them (wheels are already off the bike). But figured I'd check in here first.
    Mostly Stock '03
    Support a starving author!
    www.vanstry.net

Can't speak for the Road's but the Pirelli Angel's are a great alternative.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I am about to put a set of PR4GT's on my Zed. Couldn't find the GT in the 5's and I know several guys running the GT4's with
      great results on these heavy sport touring types.
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Well after some more reading up the past few minutes, I've found some 5's at around the price of 4's.
        Plus, I think the sidewalls of the 5's (stiffer for heavier bikes) will be as good as 4GT's from what I've read too.
        Looks like like I'm going to try the 5's like Banner.

Comment

I have recently put a Road 5 on the front of my ZZR1200, and have no complaints. It replaced a PR2, my favourite tyre. Time will tell how well it lasts. I used to get around 22000km out of a PR2 front. I will be doing a round trip Perth to Phillip Island soon for the MotoGP (around 8000km return) and will report on its condition then.

I have also put a Road 5 on the rear of my ZRX1200, and I am happy with that one as well.
          I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

You can still by Road 2's. As of earlier this year Michelin was still making them and they might still be. Bought mine from American Moto Tire. They are less expensive. You can actually buy 2, 3, 4, or 5's! Not sure why they are still making so many versions.
            Current Bikes - ZZR1200, KLR650, DR350S, CR125R
            Past Bikes - GS1000L, KZ900, CB550F, RM125, Tote Gote

Comment

Loved the 2's, heard terrible things about the 3's (wet performance, treadlife) so I avoided them. Running on 4's currently and like them as much as the 2's.
              Looking forward to others feedback on the 5's.
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Ordered the PR5's today. So I'll be posting up on the initial results in few weeks. I have been running the PR2's
                and love them. They wore more even, kept their over performance better than any other tire I've had on the Zed.
                I hope and think the PR5's are going to be more of the same, even better. I got them from Revzilla by the way,
                if anyone cares. $345.56+tax for the set. Standard shipping free. Best deal I found. Plus I like those guys.

Comment

The PR4GT suit the z perfectly,I get alot of milleage out of them, so the PR5 should be as good if not better.

Comment

I just put the PR5's on my bike. Tomorrow I need to take it down for an inspection so I can get Texas plates on it. Along with my other bike and my other car. Gonna be running back and forth a lot tomorrow.
                    Mostly Stock '03
                    Support a starving author!
                    www.vanstry.net

Comment

The Road 5 on the front of the ZZR feels more planted and nicer in the turns than my previous front tyres, which include PR2 and Pirelli.
                      I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                        The Road 5 on the front of the ZZR feels more planted and nicer in the turns than my previous front tyres, which include PR2 and Pirelli.
                        Thanks!
                        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Pilot Road 5's sitting in the garage tonight. I'll mount them up on Saturday. Like I said, if they're even just a bit better than the Road2's
                          I'll be pleased. The 2's were probably the best tires I've ever had. They suited the bike with me riding it for roughly 4500 miles or so.
                          I don't know how some of you get much more miles than that, I sort of consider myself an average rider too. We'll see how the 5's hold up.

Comment

Just found something interesting on the Michelin website... FYI...

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/m...ts/road-5.html

The following is posted just below the "available size" chart....

MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version

The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650. Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires.

Comment

I contacted Michelin on the GT type issue and he stated that the GT was just a recommendation for the sporttouring
                              type of bikes if you ran them 2 up and or loaded, as in travel. He added that for my 02 Zed with just me with moderate
                              load, the regular Road 5 would get the job done just fine. I put about 240 miles on mine since putting the 5's on this past weekend
                              and as for as the first time out........holy shit! I think I'm gonna like what these are all about. Turn in was easier, turn out also.
                              The ride was expected and experienced also good (but they are new) compared to the Road 2's. Breaking hard was good also
                              ( I was acting a bit of an ass at the time and this was required). I will give some more report as time goes on but so far, like
                              I said, so far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X