ZZR1100 D6 caliper upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZR1100 D6 caliper upgrade

Does anyone know where to get adapter kit to fit GSXR1000 k1 (2001) 6 pot caliper to ZZr
    I know there used to be kits that sleeved the Fork down from 10 to 8mm and space the caliper to right position

Any help appreciated

Re: ZZR1100 D6 caliper upgrade

Shoot Claude a P.M. He's an expert on the 11s. I think the kit consists of a few washers and some longer bolts. The swap is very easy (nuts and bolts). Here's some interesting reading on the subject:

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-11...-calipers.html

Comment

Thanks I am a newbie and cannot PM - Do you think you could pass on the request for me - thanks

Comment

According to the thread I linked, Claude just sold his last adapter kit, but if you check it out, you might be able to put one together yourself since it's not exactly rocket science ZXForums has an active ZX-11 contingent.

Comment

Originally posted by colinm View Post
          Does anyone know where to get adapter kit to fit GSXR1000 k1 (2001) 6 pot caliper to ZZr
          I know there used to be kits that sleeved the Fork down from 10 to 8mm and space the caliper to right position

Any help appreciated
          Why can't you just drill and tap the mounting holes on the caliper and fit a 1mm thick washer between the caliper and the mounting bosses. These adapter kits sound like a hard fix for an easy job

Comment

You could/can. I wouldn't if it increased the diameter of the mounting holes/decreased the mounting surface area for obvious reasons. The 6 pot brakes were to be discovered as just "not all that". At the time they Were an improvement. Stainless steel lines,HH pads and fresh fluid will give same/better results. My $.02. Danno?

Comment

Yes, properly upgraded the ZZR1200 brakes were very good.
              Do the 3 simple things that Jeff (Shotgun) mentioned and you should be good to go.
              The 2 line kit eliminates the junction block and worked very well for me.

If that is still not enough braking power check out the Aprilia and Ducati forums, people there are always selling master cylinders for cheap, but they are very strong so you may need to re-learn initial bite.
              sigpic

Comment

Overhaul the callipers, fit premium sintered pads and S/S lines. For best performance the pistons need to be clean and the seals replaced. Follow the instructions in the service manual and don't forget the red rubber grease.

Oh and push the pistons out with gentle air pressure before you split the callipers. Put a thin piece of wood between the pistons so they don't pop out completely. Don't ask how I know this.

My brakes are fine now. IMHO better to spend the money on what you have rather than a set of at least 10-year old used callipers.
                "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Braking power is not noticeably improved over what you can get out of the stock setup with good pads and aftermarket rotors. Can't speak to using stock rotors since mine were gone long before I did the caliper swap on the ZZR 12. One thing I think makes the upgrade worthwhile is better brake cooling. The 6-piston calipers and larger pad area seem to dissipate heat much better than the 4-pistons, and that could make your stock rotors live longer.

As far as drilling and tapping, it would be the caliper bosses on the lower fork legs that would need to be tapped, since that's where the bolts attach. On the 12, no washers or longer bolts were necessary, it was a straight swap. You need the washers and longer bolts on the 11 due to different rotor offset in relationship to the caliper bosses, so drilling and tapping anything will do more harm than good. The kit is simple and well thought-out, having been utilized by many 11 riders in the past. Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

Comment

I just saw this thread; sorry for my late input...

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                    ... I think the kit consists of a few washers and some longer bolts. The swap is very easy (nuts and bolts)...
                    Exactly. 4 longer bolts, 4 washers to go under the bolt's head and 4 spacers that have two purposes (reduce fork leg diameter from 10 to 8 mm and shims the calipers regarding to the disc position).

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                    ...As far as drilling and tapping, it would be the caliper bosses on the lower fork legs that would need to be tapped, since that's where the bolts attach...
                    Sorry; that's the calipers itself that is threaded. The fork legs is a smooth hole where the bolt passes free.

Originally posted by colinm View Post
                    I know there used to be kits that sleeved the Fork down from 10 to 8mm and space the caliper to right position. Any help appreciated
                    Like Danno wrote, I sold my last kit a while ago. The machine shop where I had them made is now closed and the other ones are way more expensive than what the guys a ready to pay for so I can't sell any anymore. I do have a sketch with dimensions though; I could send it to you if you want to have them locally made.

On the calipers I am currently riding with on my bike, I enlarged the mounting holes in the calipers and threaded them accordingly to ZX11's OEM bolts (M10 x 1.25 pitch). I used to think this was a bad idea but I changed my mind as this has been a troublefree setup.

Comment

Apologies for the misinformation-it's been quite some time since I laid wrenches on a ZZR 1200.

Comment

see pic

Comment

Hi, I carried out the conversion on my bike. All that is required (in addition to the calipers ) is a sleeve to allow the use of 8mm bolts in the 10mm holes is the caliper. All I used was some stainless tubing (£5 eBay) cut to length, which fit perfectly . As a matter of course I also switched to stainless hex bolts and stainless washers, assembled using Loctite. Tested for 2500 miles and at speeds of up to 165mph on the autobahn (I've dropped a tooth on the gearbox sprocket an added a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket for quicker pick up )

IMG_5748.JPG
                          Last edited by mjsavin; 11-07-2019, 06:42 AM.

Comment

That great information!

I'm sure it will help other ZZR 1100 riders wishing to do the conversion.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
                            X