Zx11/12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zx11/12

Hi Guys, as I mentioned in a previous post I am performing a heart transplant- installing a ZZR1200 engine in my '96 ZX11 which suffered oil starvation and subsequent rod knock.

First pic is bike as I bought it. Second is bike after I painted it. I rode it for less than 250 miles before the rod started knocking.

I bought an '02 ZZR1200, salvage title bike for the engine and any other goodies that are worth transferring. I will part out the rest along with bits of my old motor to re-coup some of my expense.

I got the 1200 engine running, using the carbs off the ZX11. It shifts through all the gears while running on the center stand but I can't ride it due to it's state of disassembly. There are no metallic particles in the oil (although the clutch has some chatter marks from the tensioner), and the compression is 160-170psi cold.

drained the oil and removed the filter. I found no "metal flake" particles in either the oil nor on the filter pleats. To me this indicates that the bearings are good;

-removed the clutch cover and seen the damage done by the chain tensioner. Not as bad as some pics I've seen, but I'll be adding the strut spacer to eliminate the problem;
    -removed the oil pan and found that there were slivers of aluminum from the clutch in the bottom of the sump and stuck in the oil strainers. I cleaned the strainers and removed the debris from the sump;
    -removed and inspected oil feed tubes "I" and "J", and found no brazing slag blocking either one;
    -looked into the #3 MAIN bearing cap where the "J" tube plugs in. The oil hole alignment still looks kinda off to me but I'm not sure;
    -inspected cam lobes. There is some pitting on several of them but not as bad as on the ZX11 motor. Not really worried about that.

So, all-in-all not too bad- it looks basically new on the inside.

Last edited by M.Rad.; 11-28-2018, 09:43 PM.

I also made brackets to hang the engine on a stand. The two brackets are slightly different due to the case contours. It's actually quite simple if you have a vise, drill press and porta-band although it could be done with less.
    Pics 1-3 is the brackets I made to hang the engine from a stand.

Comment

Timing wheel filed for extra advance. I only took off about .030" but I'll have to set the actual advance with a timing gun. In the third photo you can see how much adjustment is available. I'm thinking that the 1200 motor, with its lower compression, may benefit even more than the 1100. Of course, I may have to run higher octane fuel...

Also installed the starter chain tensioner strut limiter sleeve. I made it shorter so that there isn't a solid stop immediately and the spring has a chance to absorb some shock. I also ground down the back side of the arm for a little for extra clearance, just in case.

Comment

So- the following are pics of the latest: first, I took the ZZR1200 forks apart, cleaned and installed new seals. I used an impact gun to loosen the bottom screw, then fashioned a holding tool out of electrical conduit to hold the cartridge enough to remove the screw entirely. Filled to spec with 7wt fork oil. Second pic shows using small screw drivers to start the upper bushing into the fork tube. Since I don't have a seal driver I used a piece of 1/4" aluminum rod as a drift and tapped it in at compass points. I also installed the ZZR1200 front wheel and brake system (seen in 1st engine install pic.)

Comment

Next, the big one- ZZR1200 engine installed! I first tried to use the floor jack and wood blocks screwed to a board under the engine, but it proved too unsteady for one person. I ended up using an ATV jack, and even that was an ordeal. Would have been easier with some help. The engine fits well, and I'm going to try to remove the valve cover, just to see how it goes. Only concern is that the oil sight glass and fill plug are on the opposite side., so may have fairing interference issues.

Well, that's about it for now.

Comment

Here is the engine on the stand while I was working on it.

Comment

Wow!

A lot of work.

I wish I had the mechanical skills you have.

Just fabbing up the engine brackets and fork tools is out of my range

Congrats to you on taking on this project.

Hope it all works out.

Keep us posted.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

No pics today but progress was made:

Installed the V&H headers from the '11,

ZZR12' radiator (needed some cutting of fan support struts to clear headers),

Fabbed a 2-1 wire junction for the fans, replaced fan fuse w/ 25A),

Oil cooler, spark plugs, and hooked up a bunch of electrical.

Re-routed the throttle cables to the opposite port in the frame in anticipation of bar risers,

I have a gauge plumbed into the oil pressure port for start-up test, and will be installing a permanent pressure gauge before completion.

It's getting close!

Regards,
                M.R.

Comment

YOU are going to own the King Kong of ZX 11's. Think about the money spent to get the horsepower that the 12 makes.

I'm digging it.

Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Rad indeed. Good ol' cam pitting speak. Haven't heard that in years. The whole reason I went from the 11 to the 12, was the sintered rockers to avoid cam pitting. But it happened anyfrigginway. Following with great interest.
                    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Well done, especially fitting the engine on your own!

The sleeve I bought for the tensioner was about the same length as the one you fitted - I got it from someone on the ZRXOA forum. No problems after that.
                      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Thanks for the support guys! It all looks good so far, but it's a lot of work and a lot of places to accidentally screw up, so I'm kinda nervous.

Dondiego-More power and torque is always better, although I can't say the 1100 was lacking. More of both than I could effectively utilize!

Jimmymac- the cam pitting, it never really worried me much. As long as it was stabilized and wasn't constantly shedding debris I figure it was ok. I read someone once wrote " the pits are just reservoirs for more oil".

Moise-I copied the tensioner strut from pics I saw on the interwebs, along with the mods to the ignition rotor, and the fork tool. I can cut and file as well as anyone, and if it saves me a couple bucks and gives me a feeling of satisfaction-so much the better.

Today I fitted the carbs off the ZX11, (although it took me half an hour to re-figure out how the cables wound around the throttle tube), fuel pump and battery.
                        I'm not sure how the carbs will do since they're jetted for the 1100 (Dynojet kit) but I'll post what happens. I'm using these because I know they ran well on the '11 and I don't like the design of the 1200 carbs (the electrics and the o-ring on the main jet).

I still need to install & bleed the clutch hydraulics, install chain and rebuild & bleed the front brakes. Then it's time to re-fill the oil and coolant and give it a test and look for leaks.

Regards,
                        M.R.

Comment

Which igniter are you using? You may want to reconsider your decision about the carbs if you’re using the one from a 1200.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Hi Moise, I'm using the igniter from the zx11, along with the rotor (modified for additional advance). Do you see a potential problem with this setup? I figure the ZX11 box doesn't need the TPS from the '1200 for advance calc.s.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Rad. View Post
                              Hi Moise, I'm using the igniter from the zx11, along with the rotor (modified for additional advance). Do you see a potential problem with this setup? I figure the ZX11 box doesn't need the TPS from the '1200 for advance calc.s.
                              That should be fine. I read somewhere on this forum that the 1200 rev limiter is those solenoid valves and there is no ignition cutout. Something to do with the ram air.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                              X