Radiator fan and temp gauge questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator fan and temp gauge questions

Got stuck in traffic today and the temperature needle got over the red section at the far RH of the gauge. Was almost over the "H". And the fan never came on...
    From memory, the fan is supposed to engage about at the ¾ of the needle's travel; Am I right to think so?

Later today, I jumped both connectors on the thermostat and the fan came on instantly. From this I suspect the fan switch to be defective. Any thought or confirmation?

Also, I think there are some automotive switches that bolt right on and that are quite less expensive than OEM Kawasaki ($75 !!). Anyone remember what automotive replacements are usable on the ZX-11?

Finally, when replacing the switch, is there some coolant loss at the radiator or it is negligible?

Thanks!

Re: Radiator fan and temp gauge questions

Check around, as I'm sure there are plenty of different switches that would work. You might as well flush it out while you're in there. I've had temp probes that just poke through the rad fins. Cheap and painless.
    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

I replaced the fan switch on the R1 so that the fan came on at a lower temperature. I used one for an older Accord.

The issue when replacing it is likely to be the connectors on the switch. Might be easiest to pull the old one out and take it to an auto parts shop to match it.

How much coolant you lose depends on where the switch is. Leave the radiator cap on and it should drain slowly.
      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Bought this yesterday: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ZZR400-ZZR110...72.m2749.l2649

Thanks for your comments!

Comment

Another option would be to install a manual bypass switch where if the automatic one doesn't
          kick in you can turn those fans on manually. I used to do this on all my hotrods because you
          have too much to loose if these run hot. Come to think of it, I think I'll install one on my
          on Zed, practice what you preach, right?
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
            Another option would be to install a manual bypass switch where if the automatic one doesn't
            kick in you can turn those fans on manually. I used to do this on all my hotrods because you
            have too much to loose if these run hot. Come to think of it, I think I'll install one on my
            on Zed, practice what you preach, right?
            Zzz

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Is it needed to use teflon tape on the fan switch threads when installing the new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                Is it needed to use teflon tape on the fan switch threads when installing the new one?
                You should use something - Teflon tape if that's what you have.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                  You should use something - Teflon tape if that's what you have.
                  What else can be used if not teflon tape? Just curious...

Comment

Liquid teflon. It comes in a can with a brush.
                    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Just about any sealer would do. It's low pressure and temp.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I've been mentionned that the switch could need to ground to the radiator and that teflon tape could act as in insulator. Any thought about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                          I've been mentionned that the switch could need to ground to the radiator and that teflon tape could act as in insulator. Any thought about this?
                          Um, the switch has 2 terminals so that wouldn't be an issue.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                            Um, the switch has 2 terminals so that wouldn't be an issue.
                            That make sense. Thanks for your comments (all the other members too of course!!)!!

Comment

I had a '90 ZX-10 and needed a manual switch in heavy traffic......keep it cool baby

Comment

Working...
                              X