Tapping noise when cold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tapping noise when cold

Fitted it yesterday. Works perfect and I really recommend using one as the standard tensioner is crap.

Noise still there though and I really don't know where to go from here considering I checked the most obvious things. I guess I just ride and see what happens.

/ Stromma

Comment

Great day! She's finally back to former glory and she runs sweet again [emoji4]

https://youtu.be/ySQ0n97HlU0

The alternator chain tensioner was a problem and I can really recommend getting a fix for it. But it wasn't causing the noise I had, and after all things I've tried I figured that it was enough and that it was time to ride and just see what happens.

Then I run into an old friend yesterday that I used to race with long time ago. He's really good on kwakis so I mentioned my problem and the first thing he said was to check the cam chain tensioner. I told him that I checked it more times than I can remember and that it seems to work perfectly fine. He asked if I was sure, which I was, but told me to check it again as he was sure that it was my problem. This is what he told me to do:

Remove the ignition cover, and if there was more than just 5 mm play on the chain where it goes back down from the cams to the crank that was probably it. Then I should remove the big bolt and the spring on the cct , carefully remove the small bolts and the tensioner, click it over once by hand and carefully put it back again. Crank it over a couple of times on the start button and check the play again to see that I just had a couple of mm play. If it looks good put the ignition cover and the big bolt with the tensioner spring back and fire her up and listen.

It worked like a charm and she runs really sweet again [emoji4]

It's easy to click it over twice by mistake, and if it's too tight it will make a wining noise. In that case it's the same procedure all over again but instead go back one click on the tensioner.

So if you ever have a noise that sounds anywhere like mine check the alternator chain tensioner and the cct and adjust the cct manually [emoji106]

/ Stromma
      Last edited by Stromma; 06-03-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Cc

Comment

So it WAS the cam chain tensioner!

Told you so

Glad you got it sorted
          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

good job!

Comment

Wow... all that work and angst... at least its sorted now!

Reminds me of a riding buddy who bought a new CB750 (gen 2, DOHC) in 1979. After a while he noticed this ticking noise that bothered him more and more. He could not find it in the cam drive area, so eventually he TORE THE ENTIRE ENGINE AND TRANS APART. He inspected every single part and put it back together. Same ticking noise. A year or so later he was talking to a mechanic at a Honda dealer, who said "they all do that".

G
              "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                  So it WAS the cam chain tensioner!

Told you so

Glad you got it sorted
                  I know [emoji6]

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                  Wow... all that work and angst... at least its sorted now!

Reminds me of a riding buddy who bought a new CB750 (gen 2, DOHC) in 1979. After a while he noticed this ticking noise that bothered him more and more. He could not find it in the cam drive area, so eventually he TORE THE ENTIRE ENGINE AND TRANS APART. He inspected every single part and put it back together. Same ticking noise. A year or so later he was talking to a mechanic at a Honda dealer, who said "they all do that".

G
                  Sometimes it's propably better to get earplugs and chill [emoji12]

I was a bit frustrated first considering how many times I've checked it. But most important is that it wasn't something worse and at least I know what it sounds like when it happens the next time [emoji4]

/ Stromma

Comment

Happy to hear you finally got it sorted.

-John
                    Mostly Stock '03
                    Support a starving author!
                    www.vanstry.net

Comment

Originally posted by Banner View Post
                      Happy to hear you finally got it sorted.

-John
                      Thanks! The alternator chain tensioner fix works great! Going to order a manual cam chain tensioner as well. Better safe than sorry [emoji4]

/ Stromma

Comment

Hi Stromma

Can you share the vids of the noise again as they don't work, I think I have the same issue on my D4.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X