Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs/Wires/Air Filter

Hey all,

I am going to be replacing the two of them in the near future and just wondered what others have used/recommend. The bike only has 25000 miles on it but I plan on doing some longer tours this spring summer and I want to get good stuff where it counts. I know with air filters often times the stock ones are the best but is there anything anyone has found that works that much better? By the looks of what I've read on previous posts I'll be servicing the carbs soon too.

Thanks!!!!

Re: Plugs/Wires/Air Filter

Can't speak for the ZX 11 model specifically but the OEM air filters work well on the ZZR 1200's.

As for plug wires, Kawasaki wants a bit of cash but I remember other members going to their local hardware store and getting the wire in bulk but "cut to length". They then put whatever boot was necessary on it.

You might try posting this on the ZZR 1200 general discussion area to get more feedback and/or options. Possibly do a "search".

The OEM plugs should be fine.

Good luck.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Wires ......... zero resistance copper ... There's a Napa part number here some where .. see what I can find for ya.
      . KWN ... "This rides for you" .

Proud member of "The New Republic of Texas vigilante's committee"

Comment

Originally posted by DWC View Post
        Wires ......... zero resistance copper ... There's a Napa part number here some where .. see what I can find for ya.
        Agreed, but make sure you use the OE resistor plug - CR9E IIRC.
        "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

If you go to the dealer for wires, you have to buy the coils too. A waste of money.
          KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

plug wire:
            http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...word=bulk+wire

BWD brand in bulk - 7mm hypalon copper core.
            It threads into coils and also the plug boots.

Comment

I went to zx10 coil sticks. Good mod. Idles smoother little more low end torque. Less stuff under tank. Look it up not hard to do or expensive

QUOTE=Greentween;756873]plug wire:
              http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...word=bulk+wire

BWD brand in bulk - 7mm hypalon copper core.
              It threads into coils and also the plug boots.[/QUOTE]

Comment

jmenon, more on this zx10 coil stick mod on the ZZR1200. I found plenty out there but no help in the how to part.
                Sorry for the thread highjack.
                "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

I wanted to do this to the zzr but never got around to it.

A lot of the stick coils around, but nice to find the pigtails with it and then mod as needed.

This might help.....

coils.jpg
                  Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Thanks for the options all! I get to some good investigating/planning on my night shifts!

Comment

If you go with stick coils, be aware that they sollicit the starting system to the maximum.
                      When I had stick coils on mine, I was having a constant hot starting problem (the engine was turning over and over without starting not without emitting a few (very embarassing and frustrating...) back fires). I got through the carbs, fuel filters spark plugs and wiring many times without success.
                      The day I decided to try going back to OEM ZX11 coils, the problem vanished and never came back. I had the problem for about 2 years and I removed them about 2 years ago.
                      Most ZX11 owners never got this problem with stick coils but a few (like me) did.

Comment

I could be completely wrong about this Caude, but the problem could be the voltage from the igniter to the coils. It would not surprise me if it's 10V, not 12.

All other things being equal, I wouldn't expect stick coils to improve how the engine runs. You could get similar improvements by replacing plug wires and making sure the connections are good. Maybe ...
                        "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

dude, sure I have you on instagram. recognise the zzr, im okane21 on there.
                          If i'm going to hell, i'm going on a zzr 1100!

Comment

Originally posted by zzrbikesdwd
                            So i drive a '91 GMC Sierra K1500 single cab a d I'm looking to upgrade my sound system. There isn't very much room for bigger magnets or anything like that but I want more volume and bass out of what I can get. https://autowikius.com/ I'm newer to the sound community and have no idea what I'm doing, Automotive Lighting I can install them on my own i just need help finding some speakers and an amp to push em that will make my playlist heard across my small town. can y'all help me out with that?
                            Dude, WTF?
                            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                            but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                              Dude, WTF?
                              My thoughts exactly!

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Working...
                              X