hey ho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey ho

Been a while, but been hibernating after all that Florida sun. Sorry it didn't work out Gary, but after all that hassle I had a man upfront with more ca$h who was able to do it there & then. Sorry mate, I'd have loved that 11 to go to you, but like girls in the park it didn't happen. Hope you weren't too dissed with it all.... it was on the table for a long time, afteral.

OK...after a little advice here so am hoping Claude is still about.

I have an 1100 with about 35,000 on it. It runs really great, pulls smoothly everywhere & I really have zero grumbles, but

on start up it's begun rattling. The way I hear it is a typical cam chain rattle which eases when warmed. I'm in Switzerland right now and in the cold it's really noticeable. To be honest, it's something I noticed a while back, but as the bike was absolutely perfect in all departments chose to ignore it.... now I want to address it.

I thought the cam chain was automatically adjusted.... is it possible the screw is just 'stuck'? I really don't want to fork out on a new cam chain & all that entails, but if I must, I will. I'll add to those that don't know me I've run 11s for almost 30 years and never had this kind of rattle before [& it's definitely the cam chain]... the bike is not burning oil or running gas rich, really, it is as smooth as once you're on the road.

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated.

ten

EDIT: Mechanic says it's fine, so I've probably been a little paranoid over this.
    Last edited by tenbears; 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM.

Re: hey ho

Automatic cam chain tensioners seem to work very well...or not. ZX-14 ccts are famous for losing their hydraulic "prime" and rattling upon startup until the oil pressure and flow comes up, at which point they quiet down. Also, at some point, they run out of adjustment (piston all the way out) and at that point, the rattle becomes constant. I recently added an APE manual tensioner to the BWII, even though I wasn't experiencing the rattle. If the cams have to come out to adjust the valve clearances (not an issue on the 11 and 12), the tensioner has to be removed and put back in and "reset", a PITA procedure that can be avoided with a manual unit. APE makes tensioners for many models. If I were you, I'd look into getting one for your 11. Very simple to install and adjust, and eliminates all the issues associated with auto adjusters.

Comment

Whats this "Cam Chain Noise" yall speak of?

They fixed it on the 14R,mine just sat 2 weeks straight,key on,bump the starter for full fuel pump prime and hit it.
      Magic.
      No racket.
      Also,I've got the Shorai dinky race battery installed and have had zero issues about carrying a charge/having enough amps after sitting.
      Quite pleased here.
      It's been down to 14 degrees here and was 72 two days ago,fired right up second crank.

(and yes,the shoe string is still holding it in place)

Comment

I recently added an APE manual tensioner to the BWII, even though I wasn't experiencing the rattle-DA

They fixed it on the 14R,mine just sat 2 weeks straight,key on,bump the starter for full fuel pump prime and hit it.
        Magic.
        No racket.-JS

Don't think they 'fixed' anything, some do it, some don't. Wait a few thou before you abrarcadabra.-DA

Last edited by Danno; 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
          Automatic cam chain tensioners seem to work very well...or not. ZX-14 ccts are famous for losing their hydraulic "prime" and rattling upon startup until the oil pressure and flow comes up, at which point they quiet down. Also, at some point, they run out of adjustment (piston all the way out) and at that point, the rattle becomes constant. I recently added an APE manual tensioner to the BWII, even though I wasn't experiencing the rattle. If the cams have to come out to adjust the valve clearances (not an issue on the 11 and 12), the tensioner has to be removed and put back in and "reset", a PITA procedure that can be avoided with a manual unit. APE makes tensioners for many models. If I were you, I'd look into getting one for your 11. Very simple to install and adjust, and eliminates all the issues associated with auto adjusters.
          That is what is happening to my 2006 ZX14....occassionaly rattling after sitting for extended periods of time...will look into the APE manual tensioner...Thanks Danno!
          My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
          http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Mine cam chain tensioner rattles as well. I fixed it by putting in ear plugs, then putting my helmet on, starting the bike, wait a couple of seconds/minutes to let the oil flow and adjust the chain and then ride off - viola - no chain rattle.

Or you could go Danno's route. (Which I will be checking out next time I see the BWII)
            tbolt

Comment

Originally posted by tbolt View Post
              Mine cam chain tensioner rattles as well. I fixed it by putting in ear plugs, then putting my helmet on, starting the bike, wait a couple of seconds/minutes to let the oil flow and adjust the chain and then ride off - viola - no chain rattle.

Or you could go Danno's route. (Which I will be checking out next time I see the BWII)
              Oh, I have been up to a few things, some obvious and some not so much....

Comment

I just ran my bike after having it sit for the last two weeks...a little cam chain noise for about a second...then smooth as silk...so, I'll probably just use your method Tbolt and/or ride/run it more often and just let it self adjust as the oil flow gets up to the top end...unless, the start up noise gets worse.
                My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Same here - hopefully by ES mine will have new - but very important - farkles that'll help me keep Troy Boy in sight......
                  tbolt

Comment

Same here - hopefully by ES mine will have new - but very important - farkles that'll help me keep Troy Boy in sight......
                    I, on the other hand, have no such aspirations. I'm already in over my head and I know it.

Comment

Or just go my route and put a Muzzy M10 system on it
                      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Getting that eye surgery for sure then are ya?

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

Yep - halfway home. Left eye done Monday. Right eye will be done Thursday.
                          tbolt

Comment

That's good news.

Gonna be healed in time for Arkansas?

Comment

That's good news.

Gonna be healed in time for Arkansas?
                              That's the plan Stan. Sorry bears, I think this thread has been officially jacked.
                              tbolt

Comment

Working...
                              X