who had a zzr1100 back in the day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who had a zzr1100 back in the day?

The recent gpz post got me thinking about my basket case zzr1100 ive got in the shed. Its a 1989 c model and im due to tart it up a bit through the winter and ride it occasionally next year. the motor and gbox are strong, plastics are very tatty and other than that just needs a semi tear down and clean, up, plenty of aluminium white corrosion.

so what kind of a ride am i in for , ive had zzr1200's , zrx1200 , ridden zzr14 and own a gtr14.

so spill your memory beans and give me a flavour of what its going to be like, ive never ridden one. If im not keen on it im just gonna ebay out cheap and if i do like it im gonna do a nice number on the plastics, thinking along the lines of gloss black and some candy green accents, ala 2011 zzr14
    Last edited by Viper; 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM.
    sigpic

Re: who had a zzr1100 back in the day?

Dunno about that bike but I had a GpZ1000RX back in '86 when it's appearance on the scene was akin to the arrival of the ZX14 20 years later.
    At the time it was the dog's bollocks! Fastest , most powerful street machine available. I believe rated at 125hp at about 575lbs.
    I can tell you I loved that bike with a passion. Perimeter frame so it didn't bend going round corners like the double cradles I had before.
    Brakes that were up to the job. Proper full fairing that was actually pretty good at keeping you dry and comfy enough for 500 mile days.
    Hell, it had built in bungee hooks which should be on the ZX14!!!
    It would cruise all day at 110 which you could actually get away with much of the time back then pre speed cameras etc. (This in UK)
    Rode it fast with complete confidence in monsoon rain.
    If the bike you have is anything similar and is fixable...do it! You would not be ashamed of the performance even today
    Sit on it and you can feel the direct lineage straight from 25 yrs ago.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by philabeg; 10-17-2012, 08:41 PM.
    Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
    A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

Was 2004-2006 "back in the day" ?? ;)

Mine was a D, not a C, but I'm sure not much was different as far as the riding experience.

I've got you covered Viper ...

http://zzrbikes.com/threads/51748-ZZ...ght=comparison

I want another low-mileage D ... badly. Burgundy please.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
      ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

I had a '97 for a few years. Not as comfy as the 1200, and not as much low end grunt. But still plenty of both to be a great bike.
        Mine was dark green, and I still miss it.
        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
          Was 2004-2006 "back in the day" ?? ;)

Mine was a D, not a C, but I'm sure not much was different as far as the riding experience.

I've got you covered Viper ...

http://zzrbikes.com/threads/51748-ZZ...ght=comparison

thanks, thats a good thread.

mine was registered in 1990 , so its a very early C, i think the d is prettier , but a few old kwaka heads rave on about the c
          sigpic

Comment

Hey, how y'doing

TBH Viper, I honestly don't believe there's much that separates the two, despite what... almost 30yrs. That might sound staggering, and it is, but I'd defend it.

Like you, I imagine, I'm a die-hard Kawasaki fan & enthusiast: while I shunned the Homda marque for crippling the British bike scene [more a case of management errors in mho] I have always enthused over the motorcycles KAWASAKI have developed – the zx12r was the bike I always had wanted them to make. So yeah, started earlier, stayed loyal. I ran the gpz's, as I was awestruck when the RX emerged, and don't forget it's little brother the gpz600r spawned a completely new generation of 16 valve supersports, and the mid-weights we see today. I loved the RX, but was patently aware of its flaws.

Guess you have to ask yourself are you emotionally attached.

I am to my first 11D, which has over 110,000 miles on it, took us around europe when we got married, and generally performed flawlessly. I can't part with it. It is in stasis atm, in storage, and despite being robbed of parts everytime I smash the everyday mount, I know there will come a time when it will again stand gleaming in the drive. If you aint attached to it, though, .... part it out & putting that money to something you really need.... and use the space for something else, you have a fairly sizable collection as it is {SuperTenere anyone?.... or when is KAWASKI going to make a shaft drive ADV}

oh... a pic of my c2

Last edited by tenbears; 06-02-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

except for #3 rod bearing going south

Comment

Thats a good project.

I've had two Ds and thrashed/loved them both, both deep dark purple, appears blk till you get up close.
                With the right set up and little cost, and no wifey...you can throw it around like a 400.
                Suspension, fork brace, dampner, jet kit.

Took a wee twisty ride at the weekend, with a D.
                As you see.. these Japanese guys really like their bling
                CIMG5264.jpg
                CIMG5267.jpg

Used custom parts here are a plenty, give me a yell if you need something
                Attached Files
                Last edited by saitamasinner; 05-31-2013, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NATURALBORNKILLAR View Post
                  except for #3 rod bearing going south
                  There's a good article I've just seen on it so will post it up. Interesting to note the problem only affected 1100s up to '97, so that would be up to the D5 model.
                  Last edited by tenbears; 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
                    Just go to Craigs list or eBay and viola, you could be looking at a Burgundy ZX11D. They come in around $2,000.00 to $4,000.00 these days. Some look very nice also. I just got a beautiful 1996 last September, I love it.

I also had a 1995 Mica ZX11 D Model. That was 1998 thru 2001.
                    Last edited by Ticketplease; 07-14-2013, 06:17 PM.
                    I ride an overly large and needlessly powerful motorcycle. Just starting it makes a polar bear die.

Comment

Working...
                    X