Modifications to the ZZR 1100 D carried out by Kawasaki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifications to the ZZR 1100 D carried out by Kawasaki

Ok guys, I have a question regarding the Ram Air system for the D model. A few years ago I came across an article that stated that the later D models had a slight power increase to match the BlackBird. The problem is I have never been able to find any technical information on what changes were made. This brings me to something I found at a scrap bike shop. I always buy any ZZR parts I find and this shop had a top fairing with all the lights and attachments so I purchased it. When I stripped it I noticed that the Ram air intake ducts were very different. They had a piggy back tank mounted on both left and right duct They almost look like pressure tanks. They have an opening into the duct but no exit which means they would pressurize and then increase the airflow into the carbs. The ducts themselves are identical to normal apart from the piggy back tanks. They are not add ons, they are part of the ducts. I fitted them and had the carbs balanced and it runs fine. I have searched all the Kawasaki parts lists and no where are they mentioned and never show up on any drawings. Does anyone know anything about these items. I run a ZZR site and would really appreciate any info you might have.
    ZZR Riders don't die, we just reach light speed!
    ZZRRIDER.COM

Any pics?
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Here is the only pic I have ever found of them.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      ZZRRIDER.COM

Comment

When I search the D7 parts list they are not on the parts drawings.
        ZZRRIDER.COM

Comment

It looks like it may be a Helmholtz resonator. I have seen it used in automotive applications, supposedly to act as a damper to the intake air resonance waves. I'm guessing this would smooth the flow of air through the carbs and make for more consistent fueling throughout the rev renge.

Maybe they were trying to get rid of the flat spot around 3500 rpm?

Comment

Working...
          X