No announcement yet.

Carbs Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been running E10 when I have to in mine for 17 years.
    Damage? Haven’t seen any yet. Of coarse
    mine never sits for more than a couple of weeks
    without being ridden.
    Last edited by CHARLIE; 09-19-2019, 07:29 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Here in Phoenix we've been running Ethanol blended fuels since the 90's lots of hype about the issues it causes, but I've never seen any,

Ethanol by itself is a good fuel.

The bigger issue is that Ethanol is hygroscopic meaning it can absorb moisture from it;s surroundings. If you live
      in a high humidity area it can cause more problems.

It can absorb moisture into your fuel, which in small amounts is not a problem, will burn right through engine,

If moisture gets to high the water will phase separate from the gas, gas being hydrophobic, and settle on the bottom of the tank.
      It can also then start rusting the bottom of the tank too,

The older bikes that have the manual reserve petcock you may not turn to reserve for a long time and then
      when you do you suck in water and maybe rust into your carbs.

Probably best to just run bike with petcock in reserve position all the time or like once a year pull tank and
      dump clean to be safe.

Last edited by piken; 09-20-2019, 08:49 AM.
      Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Iv,e been blocked cus of personal attack! Weird indeed. Just say YES all the time

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
          Here in Phoenix we've been running Ethanol blended fuels since the 90's lots of hype about the issues it causes, but I've never seen any,

Ethanol by itself is a good fuel.

The bigger issue is that Ethanol is hygroscopic meaning it can absorb moisture from it;s surroundings. If you live
          in a high humidity area it can cause more problems.

It can absorb moisture into your fuel, which in small amounts is not a problem, will burn right through engine,

If moisture gets to high the water will phase separate from the gas, gas being hydrophobic, and settle on the bottom of the tank.
          It can also then start rusting the bottom of the tank too,

The older bikes that have the manual reserve petcock you may not turn to reserve for a long time and then
          when you do you suck in water and maybe rust into your carbs.

Probably best to just run bike with petcock in reserve position all the time or like once a year pull tank and
          dump clean to be safe.

I do. Always on res

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf View Post
            Iv,e been blocked cus of personal attack! Weird indeed. Just say YES all the time
            You weren't blocked, you had one post deleted.
            "If you didn't see me, I didn't do it! And even if you got pictures, I will swear they were PhotoShopped!"

I meant to behave but there were too many other options

Comment

I,m out...Good night and God bless

Comment

Personal attack? Haven't seen that one in a while. I wonder if the fuel stuff worked?
                Anyway, glad the mods are watching, I must have missed something. I never have
                had a post deleted, I don't think, I recon somebody did.
                "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

[QUOTE=Olaf;n1200125]I,m out...Good night and God bless[/QUOTE

A shame that you chose to leave a group of highly
                  insightful, knowledageable and well seasoned riders.
                  I suspect you are younger than my 50 years of riding experiance and don't like being chastized.
                  Know, that while being inexperianced, us veteran bikers will help when asked.

Jesus Christ The King bless you, too!

Don.

Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

I missed it too. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.
                    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

I shot Olaf a PM and tried to explain things.

No message returned.

Another one bites the dust
                      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
                      X