Carbs Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs Again

My D9 runs like mud under 3000. Wont hold a tick over. Thinking if no air leaks its the Pilots. The idle adjustment dial makes no difference. What you all think?

Could be pilots. Run some Techron or Seafoam through it, see what happens. When
    you run it through, put more than it calls for, let it run, then let it sit overnight.
    Then put in fresh gas (petrol in your area) go run it for a couple hundred miles
    or kilometers for you and see what happens. If there is little to no change
    for the better, then attack the carbs. I don't know if you can find some Star Tron,
    it's mostly in the boat motor area in stores. Run double the amount it calls for,
    then do the same I stated earlier. If no change.....then attack the carbs.
    I have cleared up motorcycle and boat motors with that Star Tron stuff that have
    been sitting for months with clogs everywhere in the fuel system. If it's not cleared
    up, then go for the carbs, cleaning take apart step.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

What Charlie said, no doubt. Here is a little something else I referenced way back when wondering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_EXK7RpKMM

Comment

Lot of forums I,ve read say cleaning additives are crap. Btw the tick over is OK when just started. Bad when engine hot

Comment

Could also be any of:

carb balance, idle mix settings, needle and seat issues, dirty air filter.
          I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Who cares what other sites say. Homeboy said run some Techron through it, and he didn't stutter. That's exactly what I would do.
            KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
              Who cares what other sites say. Homeboy said run some Techron through it, and he didn't stutter. That's exactly what I would do.
              Dear Olaf,
              J-Mac meant that with nothing but love. Seriously.

He (and Charlie) are correct, however Charlie is more tactful.

Zed carbs are it one major annoyance. Easliy fouled. Some folks swear by Seafoam, some by Techron. I used Techron as a regular fuel additive and Seafom for cleaning when things started to get squirrelly. Never heard of Star Tron, but, I'm not a boat guy.

I follow Charlies advice with Seafom as a place to start, maybe get lucky.
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Sea Foam and/or Techron is definitely easier than pulling the carbs

Especially if it fixes them

As for J-Mac, he sometimes is off his meds
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I,ll give that Techron a go. Thing is I got that tank treatment corrosion liner in. Will it melt that?

Comment

Wouldn't think so. As far as the "additives" being snake oil, it won't cure a severely stopped up issue
                    and no it won't syc the carbs for you or work miracles, but it will clean gunk and or water out of the fuel system.
                    I have a 17 year old Zed that has never even had the carbs off of the bike. It probably will get a removal
                    complete cleanup someday, but right now it runs like a bat-outa-hell so why mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
                      Dear Olaf,
                      J-Mac meant that with nothing but love. Seriously.

He (and Charlie) are correct, however Charlie is more tactful.

Zed carbs are it one major annoyance. Easliy fouled. Some folks swear by Seafoam, some by Techron. I used Techron as a regular fuel additive and Seafom for cleaning when things started to get squirrelly. Never heard of Star Tron, but, I'm not a boat guy.

I follow Charlies advice with Seafom as a place to start, maybe get lucky.
                      Who?

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf View Post

Who?
                        jimmymac
                        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

http://www.starbrite.com/startron
                          For those who aren't familiar, I used this stuff a lot back in my boat/jet ski days.
                          Those things sat around for months not being ran and this stuff got me out of major
                          repairs more times than not. Like I said, if it's a minor clog somewhere or water/moisture
                          issue going on, it did the trick. Sometimes you can get by with a little chemical help,
                          sometimes not. I found it a lot of places too, Walmart, Amazon, most auto parts places.
                          In most stores it was always in where the boat stuff was instead of where the other fuel
                          treatments were.

Comment

Just ordered this:http://www.starbrite.com/startron Hope it helps. I,ve never been a fan of additives tbh. In fact I,ve never used them. So we will see. I,ll let you know if there is any joy
                            Last edited by Olaf; 09-18-2019, 02:59 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Well put it in today. Keeping to the subject. The Dictatorship of the EU is now doing this. So additives will be the norm over here:

Wout Kreuze Since October 12, 2018, the fuel labels of Euro 95 and Euro 98 have the addition E5. This code refers to the percentage of ethanol in the fuel (5 percent). With E10 petrol, that is therefore a maximum of 10 percent.
                              From 1 October 2019, gas stations with two or more pumping installations are obliged to offer E10 to at least half of their filling guns
                              If you fuel your E10 petrol in a motorcycle that actually does not have an E10, the ethanol can damage the fuel lines, fuel pump and even the engine.
                              Kawasaki

Comment

Working...
                              X