Arrh.. Dead bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrh.. Dead bike

I bought a 1995 ZZR1100 2 weeks ago as a temporary stop gap while my main bike is sitting in my garage in bits, this old lady has seen better days, she needs an engine rebuild, if I was brave enough. Certainly I'm going to have to clean her carbs, swap the plugs and air filter, and change the front brake pads and the brake oil, maybe even the tappets, but she's a runner.

Or was... Until this morning when I got her out of the garage. Pressed the starter button, and she got going. But then I had to switch her off because I forgot something indoors. When I came back out, the bike was completely dead. The clock had reset and everything.. Like I've unplugged the battery. Nada.. No lights, no nothing. I tested the battery which was giving just over 9v, so I've put a slow charger over the battery terminals, and a little while later decided maybe to try again. (The charger was reading 12.7v) Turning the key, there's a dim light for the oil and neutral, and headlight, but the charger acts like I've shorted it out and the clock resets again.

I'm a little lost as to what to do next to troubleshoot. I don't hear any clicking, so I don't think it's a bad relay. Perhaps the solenoid, but that seems ok (Although there's not enough juice to test it.)

What else might it be?

Thanks a lot

SJ
    If you don't like my answer, ask someone else. If you ask me the same question again, I'll give you the same answer.

Check your kill switch to see if there is any corrosion, if nothing else, shoot some contact cleaner inside and try it again. Might have a loose connection on the battery terminal too, and that little bit was enough. Those are the first two places to check

Comment

I'd invest in a new battery or at least have your old one tested under a load.
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thanks. how do I test the kill switch without buying another one?

I’ve removed the battery leads and put them back. No joy. The battery has been charging overnight, I’ll test it today. I’ll attach the battery from my other bike if I get nothing from this one.

Thanks folks.
        If you don't like my answer, ask someone else. If you ask me the same question again, I'll give you the same answer.

Comment

Battery is dead.. I'll try with the other one at the weekend.

Comment

The kill switch on the handle bar, open it up by removing the 2 or 3 phillips head screws on the back and the switch housing will open into 2 pieces. The internals may have some corrosion visible, maybe not. Shoot some contact cleaner at the back of the switch and move the switch from stop to start multiple times, and spray it lightly again. Allow it to dry while you reassemble everything, and try to start the bike. Battery as all have said and you are now attempting to swap out. Make sure the cables are tight. Keep at it, you'll get it.

Comment

Your battery is dead. Get a new one. 95% chance that will fix you.

Going from an easy start to 9v on the next try is a busted cell.

And... WELCOME!
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

BIG Oramblin66 Spot on! Dead battery.

Thanks folks. I was a bit stumped. Took the opportunity to change the spark plugs and air filter while I had the tank off. She’s got a leaky head gasket :( Is the Haynes manual worth buying forthis bike?
                Last edited by SwissJon; 09-07-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissJon View Post
                  BIG Oramblin66 Spot on! Dead battery.

Thanks folks. I was a bit stumped. Took the opportunity to change the spark plugs and air filter while I had the tank off. She’s got a leaky head gasket :( Is the Haynes manual worth buying forthis bike?
                  Wouldn't waste my time on a Haynes manual.

Just start a new thread stating that you are looking to buy a factory manual. I'm sure there is a member or two on the site that still have one and would sell it to you.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Here is one on E Bay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZZ...EAAOSwMJFbKu5n

Cant beat the price.
                    Last edited by BIG O; 09-07-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Somebody here has been hosting an electronic copy of the manual. If you search the site you should be able to find the link and download it. If you roll that way.
                      “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Did you get it fixed? Was it the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
                          Did you get it fixed? Was it the battery?
                          Yeah, he did.

It was the battery.

Post # 8 in the thread

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

Yeah, he did.

It was the battery.

Post # 8 in the thread
                            Oops!

Comment

I missed it initially too.

The Big O, Ramblin tag thingies kinda hid it.

Comment

Working...
                              X