About time I started a build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome graphics.co.uk

They claim the graphics are direct copies but they don't have the shadow around the edge ( my graphics were silver with a slight purple shadow but theirs are one colour)

As I'm not going for total original I'm not too stressed but if you're restoring they may fall a bit short

Comment

Thanks for that mate. It is proving so difficult to get exact copies of the original graphics.
      ZZR Riders don't die, we just reach light speed!
      ZZRRIDER.COM

Comment

Kawasaki don't do them as spares ?
        i guess they don't believe there are any left

Comment

Well, it's been a while but minor progress has been made

Oil lines finally sorted, exhaust, rad and oil cooler back on ( forgot to put the upper rad shroud back on....)

Next problem was the non returning throttle, so carbs and airbox back off, problem not in the carbs, which is a good thing
          Took the throttle assy apart half a dozen times before I realised the cables were routed the wrong way, sorted that and.... still sticking.
          Pulled the throttle apart another half a dozen times and can't work it out
          As far as I can tell the way the cables go into the switch block was a solution in search of a problem, why couldn't they just use the same method everyone has used for the last 50 years, lunacy

So hopefully this weekend I can get that sorted and move on to some other stuff

Still got to work out what I'm going to do about the tank of many holes, repair, replace ?
          If I go with repair at least the holes are underneath and it doesn't have to look beautiful, just petrol proof

Comment

Originally posted by spotty View Post
            Well, it's been a while but minor progress has been made

Oil lines finally sorted, exhaust, rad and oil cooler back on ( forgot to put the upper rad shroud back on....)

Next problem was the non returning throttle, so carbs and airbox back off, problem not in the carbs, which is a good thing
            Took the throttle assy apart half a dozen times before I realised the cables were routed the wrong way, sorted that and.... still sticking.
            Pulled the throttle apart another half a dozen times and can't work it out
            As far as I can tell the way the cables go into the switch block was a solution in search of a problem, why couldn't they just use the same method everyone has used for the last 50 years, lunacy

So hopefully this weekend I can get that sorted and move on to some other stuff

Still got to work out what I'm going to do about the tank of many holes, repair, replace ?
            If I go with repair at least the holes are underneath and it doesn't have to look beautiful, just petrol proof
            Glad to see you are still making progress.

As for the tank, no luck on finding a better used one?
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

All right, I give up, how the hell do the throttle cables go together at the top end
              I've had the bastard things apart innumerable times, can't see what I could do different and put them back together and.......no return
              As far as I can see the fcukers can only go one way but as soon as I tighten the switch block / throttle housing they stop returning
              It's not the cables themselves or the carbs

In other news , I've got the rad and oil cooler back on again this time with the cowling on the top so hopefully they can bloody we'll stay there this time ( and I even connected up the thermo fan once I found the matching plugs )

Got so far as to put the stone guards on the rad / cooler this time which may be a bit ambitious but we shall see

But onto new problems...the two breather caps on top of the cam cover have gone walkies between the PO pulling the engine down and me getting it together..... bollocks.
              I know I was looking for them when I finished the engine build as I had the gaskets but nothing to put on top of them

So apart from those little problems i reckon with the appropriate fluids I might be ready to try starting the motor before I finish the airbox/ ducting etc cos if it's going to piss oil/petrol/coolant it's better to have less crap wrapped around it to see where it's coming from

On the bad news front, was checking out the wiring ( which includes a power commander) there seems to be a couple of things patched in ... including an extra wire that seems to have been shoved into the terminal block belonging to the igniter box...... Bollocks
              It was running before getting pulled apart so here's hoping but I kinda hate elecs so I may not be looking forward to the next stage

Onwards and upwards..as they say

Oh yeah, the fuel tank appears to have the structural integrity of used toilet roll
              Found another one.... reasonable price, appears to be in good condition and......it's in Italy......

Need to get my other bike ( the mighty vmax ) registered and back on the road before I can justify shelling out the coin for that not to mention the other stuff the zzr needs

Bollocks

Comment

Well I did get the vmax back on the road ( and I'd forgotten how much love that's in need of)

Back to the Z, started on the bodywork y'day, it's a right mess, I've repaired all the cracks and breaks from behind so they're good and strong but it's left the outside looking like broken Easter egg......
                Started sanding and many hours later still looks like crap but smoother crap at least
                Every panel is scratched and chipped apart from the repairs so I'm rethinking the final paint
                Rather than one colour which will show every imperfection ( especially black) it may end up with a 4 colour Camo scheme ( wht/l.grey/d.grey/bk) probably still with Kawasaki green stickers
                Much as I should be outside doing more work on it, it's getting up towards 100F / 60mph winds so I'm hanging in front of the a/c watching for bushfire alerts
                May need to pack the animals and a few things into the car and do a runner if any fires hit round here
                Weather should be better tomorrow so hopefully get out there then

Comment

Working...
                X