Starter button issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter button issue

Sometimes when I press my starter button it doesn't fire up right away. Can someone give me any pointers on what the fault might be?

Can you jiggle it and get it to start? Probably dirty or worn. My husband's 05 you had to push down and to the left to get it to start.
    "If you didn't see me, I didn't do it! And even if you got pictures, I will swear they were PhotoShopped!"

I meant to behave but there were too many other options

Comment

It could be the interlock switch on the clutch lever. It's a know issue with the ZZR1200 as they get older. Try messing with the lever and see what happens.
      Mostly Stock '03
      Support a starving author!
      www.vanstry.net

Comment

I had a similar problem on a Honda and it was the kill switch.

Comment

Heard this before and happened 1 time to me. All I needed to do was cleanout the kill switch on the handle bar. Start there, and if a no-go, then move down to the sidestand switch and see if it is all gummed up. I used an LPS contact cleaner for electronics for the cleanup of my kill switch.

Comment

Originally posted by bretb View Post
            Heard this before and happened 1 time to me. All I needed to do was cleanout the kill switch on the handle bar. Start there, and if a no-go, then move down to the sidestand switch and see if it is all gummed up. I used an LPS contact cleaner for electronics for the cleanup of my kill switch.
            The kill switch on mine energized the fuel pump. Knew I had found the problem when the pump cycled back on after futzing with the kill switch.

Comment

Dirty contacts in the kill switch or the starter button are most likely culprits. Damaged wiring of those also is possible. Clutch and side-stand switches matter only if the transmission is not in neutral (or the neutral switch has failed).
              How To Cheat on Personality Tests
              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
              (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
              (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
              (c) I never worry much about anything.
              (d) I don't care for books or music much.
              (e) I love my wife and children.
              (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
              From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Working...
              X