throttle synch /revving problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle synch /revving problems

Hi I have bought a 2000 zzr1100 that has stood for 5 years it was running very badly with the floats sticking, after rebuilding and cleaning the carbs new plugs/leads valve clearances adjusted the carbs do not flood anymore but when starting with the choke on the engine revs very high and the choke has to be jiggled to try and keep the revs down and not stall, when hot it starts fine but when I went to synchronise the throttles I can get the pairs synchronised but when I try to synchronise one pair with the other the gauges are all over the place and the throttles appear to be sticking although they were ok before syncing do I have an air leak perhaps or is it something more sinister this is the third ZZR I have owned so know my way around them.
    Any ideas will be gratefully received

Sounds like an air leak or some dirt and goo still in the carbs. To find an air leak use a propane torch, with the torch unlit and the gas turned on low slowly pass the torch near suspected leakage areas like the rubber boots or throttle shafts. when the engine revs up or changes RPMs you have found your leak. Good luck and may the force be with you. :o}

Comment

you can do the same with a can of WD 40

Comment

Thanks a lot for the tips I will take the carbs off and clean them out again and check for air leaks.

Comment

The choke cable isn't sticking? Is it seated correctly at the carb end?
          I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Hopefully solved the problem I cleaned the carbs again but found the mixture screws had been played with and number 4 butterfly was slightly open all the time I reset the screws and adjusted the butterfly and on a cold start the choke can be closed slightly to decrease the revs without the engine cutting out just need to see if I can now sync the carbs ok..

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by NATURALBORNKILLAR View Post
                you can do the same with a can of WD 40
                Gumout! It's for carbs, after all.
                “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

If they are bouncing erratically, I think it most likely that you didn't get the rubber diaphragms correctly seated when you assembled the slides into the carbs. It can be tricky to get everything right.
                  How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                  1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                  (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                  (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                  (c) I never worry much about anything.
                  (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                  (e) I love my wife and children.
                  (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                  From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Working...
                  X