Carburator removal, Cleaning, Reinstall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Paul
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thank you Paul.

I took the carburetors out and cleaned the jets. Put everything back together and she ran. I rode her for three days. One night (the 4th day) I went to get chips for my little kid and when I got 1.5 miles from home she stalled. I was trying to see how many miles I could get on a tank. It got to 85.5 miles. Went back and got gas, but it wouldn't start. Finally, I got it towed back to my place and got it to to start just by messing with the choke. It would eventually stay on, but only if I leave the throttle along. She stalled when revved. I'm told that I may need to sync the carburetors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey View Post
        Thank you Paul.

I took the carburetors out and cleaned the jets. Put everything back together and she ran. I rode her for three days. One night (the 4th day) I went to get chips for my little kid and when I got 1.5 miles from home she stalled. I was trying to see how many miles I could get on a tank. It got to 85.5 miles. Went back and got gas, but it wouldn't start. Finally, I got it towed back to my place and got it to to start just by messing with the choke. It would eventually stay on, but only if I leave the throttle along. She stalled when revved. I'm told that I may need to sync the carburetors.
        Carb syncing is a fine tuning operation; it will not solve your problem. It seems likely that some debris has clogged up your slow jets again. Or maybe your fuel filter is filled with filtered junk and needs to be replaced.
        How To Cheat on Personality Tests
        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
        (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
        (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
        (c) I never worry much about anything.
        (d) I don't care for books or music much.
        (e) I love my wife and children.
        (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
        From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Just curious... when I opened the carburetors up, I unscrewed one jet and the other brass fitting I unscrewed was just a cover over a jet, but I didn't know how to remove them. So I sprayed it with the cleaner. Anyone take apart the Zzr600 '08? I'm being specific cause maybe the other year models can differ.

Comment

The jet that is uncovered, I don't know how to remove that. Any suggestions?
            Attached Files

Comment

If you are talking about a jet that is recessed down inside the tube, it takes either some luck with a screwdriver that is too small, or a special or modified screwdriver that fits the bore of the tube. Otherwise, you can chew up the jet and have real problems getting it out.

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post

Carb syncing is a fine tuning operation; it will not solve your problem. It seems likely that some debris has clogged up your slow jets again. Or maybe your fuel filter is filled with filtered junk and needs to be replaced.
                I appreciate the feedback. I took it apart again and cleaned the jets that came out and sprayed the ones that stayed in. One of the jets were clogged again. I didn't change the house from the pump to the carbs. Maybe that hose has residual sediments and one just happened to break free and do the clogging. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
                  If you are talking about a jet that is recessed down inside the tube, it takes either some luck with a screwdriver that is too small, or a special or modified screwdriver that fits the bore of the tube. Otherwise, you can chew up the jet and have real problems getting it out.
                  Thank you. I used a toothbrush and scrubbed it as I sprayed that jet. I noticed it didn't have the tiny hole at the end like the slow jet. It just had 3 pairs of tiny holes along the side of it.

Comment

I had a look at the parts fiche for your model and it shows a #12.5 pilot jet, which is a a small jet and could clog easily. It is difficult to see the detail in the fiche, but it looks like the jet is a push fit?

If you haven't done so, a new fuel filter would be worthwhile.
                    "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey View Post
                      It just had 3 pairs of tiny holes along the side of it.
                      Needle jet?
                      They are usually a push fit.
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post

Needle jet?
                        They are usually a push fit.
                        It won't be the needle jet - that is fed by the main jet. If you remove the extension that the main jet screws into, then you should see the needle jet.
                        Last edited by Moise; 09-24-2020, 04:29 AM.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                          I had a look at the parts fiche for your model and it shows a #12.5 pilot jet, which is a a small jet and could clog easily. It is difficult to see the detail in the fiche, but it looks like the jet is a push fit?

If you haven't done so, a new fuel filter would be worthwhile.
                          I change the fuel filter the first go round. I am assuming the left over gunk may have trickled in from the hoses after the fuel filter. That's the only thing I haven't changed. In the top picture I posted, the cavity without anything is where one pilot jet was. I unscrewed it out. The brass to the left was the other jet, which was covered with a cap (you can see in the bottom picture). Is that what you described as a push fit?

Comment

Ah, I didn't realise that you'd already removed the pilot jet, although I was puzzled why there wasn't anything in that hole!

The brass piece is not a jet, it's the tube to the needle jet. It looks like there is some kind of screen at the tip. That is probably a push fit as it doesn't look like it unscrews.

You shouldn't need to clean the needle jet.

Were the pilot jets clean?

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                            X