Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburator removal, Cleaning, Reinstall

ZZR 600 2007
    My bike had sat for about 4-6 months. In california, so not like it was crazy cold or anything.
    bike ran sort of rough, and would stall at idle.
    I am not super knowledgable on mechanic stuff.
    i watched a couple of youtube vids. And learned how to do a basic tune up.
    R&R: oil, filter, plugs,,air filter.
    Put it all back together. Same.
    after reading a few old threads, I have decided to clean the carbs.
    If I remove them, and clean them, do I HAVE to sync them, and shim them, etc, or can Ijust remove, cLean,,according to the manual,THEN put them back in?

Am I treading in to danger here?
    Are there any vids or tips on this process?
    everbody is talking about how you HAVE to rejet it, drill the jet, shimming.
    none of this is mentioned in the shop manual.
    i liked the way it ran before the problem.
    so do I have to do all of that?

Re: Carburator removal, Cleaning, Reinstall

Originally posted by magicdiverpilot View Post
    ZZR 600 2007
    My bike had sat for about 4-6 months. In california, so not like it was crazy cold or anything.
    bike ran sort of rough, and would stall at idle.
    I am not super knowledgable on mechanic stuff.
    i watched a couple of youtube vids. And learned how to do a basic tune up.
    R&R: oil, filter, plugs,,air filter.
    Put it all back together. Same.
    after reading a few old threads, I have decided to clean the carbs.
    If I remove them, and clean them, do I HAVE to sync them, and shim them, etc, or can Ijust remove, cLean,,according to the manual,THEN put them back in?

Am I treading in to danger here?
    Are there any vids or tips on this process?
    everbody is talking about how you HAVE to rejet it, drill the jet, shimming.
    none of this is mentioned in the shop manual.
    i liked the way it ran before the problem.
    so do I have to do all of that?
    Rejetting and so forth is only useful if you've changed out your exhaust and you want to put more fuel through the thing. If you're happy with the performance you had previously, don't worry about that.

You can remove the carbs, clean the jets, and replace them without affecting sync or tuning. Most of the time, this is all you will need, especially if your bike generally starts and runs but i.e. has issues at idle (indicating a problem with the idle circuit/pilot jets).

If you have a carb that is really varnished up and it requires a chemical dip, you will need to break down the carburetor and remove all plastic and rubber components. I would definitely sync it after that. Syncing carbs is not hard if you have the correct tool, which isn't very expensive. Breaking down the carburetor isn't too bad, either. You just have to keep track of all the parts. It helps to have a clean workspace and a system for organizing the parts as you remove them. Also, take detailed photos from every angle of every step. They can help you with putting it back together.

Good luck :)

Comment

If you do take apart the carbs, do 1 at the time, so if you forget how this or that parts goes then you can just look at the other, untouched carbs. Do NOT use carbs cleaner unless ALL the rubber are removed ( I don't use at all)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I use 3 quarts of Pine-Sol with one quart of water.
        No rubber has to be removed and all the varnish will be gone. But do remove as many jets as possible and the diffuser pipes.
        Soak for 24 hours (OK to rotate occasionally) then chase as many orifices with stainless steel safety wire.
        After cutting the safety wire pull it through some folded over sand paper to remove any burrs so you don't gouge any of the orifices.
        Re-soak afterward for another 24 hours and you should be golden.
        Heard about the Pine-Sol method years ago on a Gixxer forum. I have done it a number of times and it's works very well.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help.
          OK, so before I start,
          1. Do I have to drain the coolant? ( It says something about "for other than US models, see coolant...)
          i'm not sure if that means you only have to if your bike is "other than us bikes.
          2.I feel like there is not much detail when it says, "loosen the carburator clamps. Remove Carburators"
          Isnt there a little something else that should be included? Any subtleties, tricks?

By the way, I'm using the manual for the 2002 ZX6R. My bike is a 2007 ZZR600. That's OK right. Everywhere I read says they are the same.

Comment

No need to remove the coolant, the clamp, behind the carbs is what its holding them, you'll need a long or flexible extension hex key, I think its a 3mm. Loose up the clamps, then move the carbs up and down a few times and you can remove them from the boots.
            Then you will need to take apart the throtle so you can remove the cable and have enough play so you can remove them from the carbs. There is a clip on the carbs that hold the 2 cable. Also on the top and a little back on #3 carbs, you need to remove a screw that hold the choke cable, if I remember correctly, there is a small sleeve here, don't loose it.
            Mark your cables to see which one is the return cable and the one that open your carbs.

edit, I replied from my phone and didnt see it was for the 600, so some step may not apply

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
            Last edited by loic; 05-18-2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Thank you.
              i'm gonna start it this weekend, if I finish hanging my door in the office.

What brand (author) of shop manual do you guys like the best?

Comment

Thank you.
                i'm gonna start it this weekend, if I finish hanging my door in the office.

What brand (author) of shop manual do you guys like the best?
                Kawasaki shop manual, the others are worthless

Comment

Alright fellas,
                  I have the carbs off. (no bad words-unbelievable)
                  They are still clamped together, although I did pull them open slightly to get the three t hoses (plastic and rubber) out. All that is left is to pull off the electric (black) connector that is held on by the torks bolts.

If I go the route of the Pinesol for pickling will it work as well as carb cleaner?
                  If I go with actual carb dip, or cleaner, will it work faster than pine sol?

I am sort of disappointed, because my carbs do not look very dirty. I hope this was my problem.

I sure appreciate you guys. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Comment

Alright fellas,
                    I have the carbs off. (no bad words-unbelievable)
                    They are still clamped together, although I did pull them open slightly to get the three t hoses (plastic and rubber) out. All that is left is to pull off the electric (black) connector that is held on by the torks bolts.

If I go the route of the Pinesol for pickling will it work as well as carb cleaner?
                    If I go with actual carb dip, or cleaner, will it work faster than pine sol?

I am sort of disappointed, because my carbs do not look very dirty. I hope this was my problem.

I sure appreciate you guys. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.
                    I would not use carb cleaner, you can use some seafoam if you want, let it seat, soak them in it. ( i realy dont like carb cleaner...lol)

I would keep them clamped together, and remove only the jets, needle etc and inspect them 1 carb at the time only.

Comment

An ultrasonic bath is great for jets etc. A "mild" solvent like isopropyl alcohol works well - use water in the bath then put the parts in a small glass jar.

Isopropyl is the active component in Seafoam.
                      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

OK, well, I pickled the whole carb cluster in the Pine Sol and Water like suggested on this thread.
                        I pulled 3 jets out of each carb. I think there are 4 total. I did not know what to remove to locate the pilot screw, I think it is called. Some say drill it out, some say cut into it with an awl, then remove it with a coarse screw. But I don't know where it is. Does someone have a pic of where it is? The manual I have does not show a good pic or drawing of it.

Because here is what happened. I pickled it for a day, chased all the holes I could find with a toothbrush, pickled it for a day or two more. Put it all back together, and it runs terrible.
                        I got it started, but same problem. It shuts off at idle, so I adjust the idle screw. It then idles OK, but when I give it throttle:

1. It's slow to react, and build RPM
                        2. When I shut the throttle down, the RPMs, there is a big delay from when I shut it down, until it comes back to idle. (vacuum leak?)

So do you guys think I'm gonna find my problem in that one jet i did not remove ( where I have to drill out the plug to get access), or do you think I should start spraying carb cleaner around the hoses to check for vacuum leaks?
                        Or should I just take it to the damned shop ?

Comment

OK, well, I pickled the whole carb cluster in the Pine Sol and Water like suggested on this thread.
                          I pulled 3 jets out of each carb. I think there are 4 total. I did not know what to remove to locate the pilot screw, I think it is called. Some say drill it out, some say cut into it with an awl, then remove it with a coarse screw. But I don't know where it is. Does someone have a pic of where it is? The manual I have does not show a good pic or drawing of it.

Because here is what happened. I pickled it for a day, chased all the holes I could find with a toothbrush, pickled it for a day or two more. Put it all back together, and it runs terrible.
                          I got it started, but same problem. It shuts off at idle, so I adjust the idle screw. It then idles OK, but when I give it throttle:

1. It's slow to react, and build RPM
                          2. When I shut the throttle down, the RPMs, there is a big delay from when I shut it down, until it comes back to idle. (vacuum leak?)

So do you guys think I'm gonna find my problem in that one jet i did not remove ( where I have to drill out the plug to get access), or do you think I should start spraying carb cleaner around the hoses to check for vacuum leaks?
                          Or should I just take it to the damned shop ?
                          The plug that you didn't drill out is for the air\fuel screws. If you have an aftermarket exhaust or free flowing air filter those should already should have been removed. Wrap duct tape or masking tape around the drill about 5/16ths up from the tip of the drill so that it doesn't extend too far in when drilling and screw up the AF screw heads.
                          Hoe did the diffusers look? How come you didn't chase as many orifices as you could with safety wire?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                            I use 3 quarts of Pine-Sol with one quart of water.
                            No rubber has to be removed and all the varnish will be gone. But do remove as many jets as possible and the diffuser pipes.
                            Soak for 24 hours (OK to rotate occasionally) then chase as many orifices with stainless steel safety wire.
                            After cutting the safety wire pull it through some folded over sand paper to remove any burrs so you don't gouge any of the orifices.
                            Re-soak afterward for another 24 hours and you should be golden.
                            Heard about the Pine-Sol method years ago on a Gixxer forum. I have done it a number of times and it's works very well.
                            Why 75% strength Pine-Sol, and not 100%?

Won't a steel wire, even with the burrs removed, gouge a brass jet?
                            - 2WP
                            77 KZ650C,
                            02 ZZR1200 in the faster and not so better handling Galaxy Silver (deceased)

Comment

Does anyone have a pdf of the manual? I am trying to remove the carbs to clean them.

Comment

Working...
                              X