Poor idle and miss when engine is warmed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor idle and miss when engine is warmed up

2004 zzr600 having issues when engine warms up, runs perfectly for the first 10 minutes then will sputter at idle and had a miss between idle and 3k, which smooths out between 3k and 6k yet returns at higher throttle positions. New filters around and just got the carbs back after rebuild, still no joy. Weird issue is if I ride for an hour or longer the issue goes away and runs like brand new, but if it sits a couple days same problem returns.

Those part time gremlins are the worst. Sounds like a heat related issue. I would probably start by trying to isolate the cylinders and go from there. Fuel? Spark? Vacuum? Plug?

Comment

Sounds like it could be a failing purge solenoid (part of the evap emissions system that sits between the charcoal canister and the intake).
      How To Cheat on Personality Tests
      1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
      (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
      (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
      (c) I never worry much about anything.
      (d) I don't care for books or music much.
      (e) I love my wife and children.
      (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
      From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

The issue was there before the carb rebuild, correct? I would have to assume that you need an adjustment to the carbs. I would start there. When I rebuilt mine 2 summers ago, I redid the pilot settings and it runs perfect. If you had to do adjustments with the carbs before the rebuild, this would make sense. You need to go on a ride and check throttle possiton. Barely rolling on and having issues would lead me to the pilots. See if it happens at part 1/4, half, full, all over the range and pay attention to when it happens. But again, sounds like it could be pilot settings. Plus, a carb synch wouldn't hurt, but don't thing that is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post
          Sounds like it could be a failing purge solenoid (part of the evap emissions system that sits between the charcoal canister and the intake).
          Does the ZZR600 have the same system as the 1200?

Comment

I had a similar intermittent issue on my Z x14. It exhibited similar symptoms and all deductions pointed to an electrical gremlin of some sort. I switched out numerous parts and in the end it turned out to be a short in a plug-in connecter in the wiring harness that was causing my issues. It took a long time to find it. Good luck getting it sorted.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldtechsargw View Post
              2004 zzr600 having issues when engine warms up, runs perfectly for the first 10 minutes then will sputter at idle and had a miss between idle and 3k, which smooths out between 3k and 6k yet returns at higher throttle positions. New filters around and just got the carbs back after rebuild, still no joy. Weird issue is if I ride for an hour or longer the issue goes away and runs like brand new, but if it sits a couple days same problem returns.
              FieldTech - please confirm that when your carbs were serviced, the fuel pilot with the rubber o-ring was also replaced, see below. If that o-ring is bad or worn, fuel will get past it and end up inside of the engine, thus air/fuel is not properly regulated. Also, if you do not turn your fuel off when you are done with the motorcycle, fuel will leak past the o-ring and end up in your engine and may pass your rings and end up in the oil case. Check the oil to see if there is fuel in the oil.

Comment

Working...
              X