ZZR600 year 2000, acceleration issues when overtaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZR600 year 2000, acceleration issues when overtaking

Hi, newbie here. Had 2 ZZR600 in my past and now bought another as my main transportation. It starts fine, hunts a little while warming, but seems to settle down. Rode it home (220 miles) without issue....apart from...

From a stand still it accelerates right through each gear all the way no trouble. However, when traveling along at 70mph on the motorway and then trying to overtake......nothing, just a really really slow acceleration.

Now, I know from previous ZZR`s that this is not right. Got it home had it apart down to the carbs and cant see anything wrong? Runs up at home no issue, dont think its the tank breather, but cant rule it out right now as bikes in bits upgrading the brakes to some Nissin 4 pots and fixing fairing brackets, brake master cylinder and other things so it is a good time to look into the carbs, which I admit, I dont know that much about.

Has anyone got any ideas or fixes for this at all?

I`m a DIYer as cant afford garage costs.

I have totally stripped previous bikes to do gearbox changes etc, so know my way around these bikes a bit.

I would start with having a look at the needles and seats.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

If you suspect the tank vent, I would try to open the cap as near to the time as your issue arises. Should hear a sucking sound. I had that issue with a boat one time.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
        Should hear a sucking sound. I had that issue with a boat one time.
        That was your money coming out of your savings account
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thanks Guys, havent gotten it back together to test yet. Bleed nipples on the new calipers arent sealing. . Just intersted Big O on where you got your name from? I used to use that name on online gaming a lot after my racehorses race name!

Also, if it is the tank breather being blocked, anyone know the best way to fix it?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Smuggler View Post
            . Just intersted Big O on where you got your name from? I used to use that name on online gaming a lot after my racehorses race name!

Cheers
            Guys at work dubbed me " Big O " as my last name is a 10 letter long Slavic name that starts with "O" that they couldn't pronounce.

I also go about 6'2" and 225 pounds.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Smuggler View Post
              Also, if it is the tank breather being blocked, anyone know the best way to fix it? Cheers
              Usually by finding/fixing the pinched hose under the tank. Sometimes by finding/fixing a fault within the fuel cap.

Oh, and when the problem occurs and you open the fuel cap, you should NOT hear a major whoosh. If you do, then you have a vent problem.
              How To Cheat on Personality Tests
              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
              (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
              (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
              (c) I never worry much about anything.
              (d) I don't care for books or music much.
              (e) I love my wife and children.
              (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
              From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

OK, no pinched hoses. That would have been too easy! Still waiting for the bleed niples to fix the brakes before a orad test.

Other than opening the tank filler when it happens, is there another way to chekc the filler cap?

Comment

Spray a little WD40 in the lock, often helps to clear venting issues.
                  Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Working...
                  X