Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you start the bike with clutch in, kickstand up and neutral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reidmct View Post

You should push start your Aprilia. In other words, you need to shove it.
    Is that with the clutch in or out?

Kickstand up or down?

In neutral or not?

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I ask about the horn because I finally realized that the clutch switch on the ZZR is different from many other clutch switches. Whereas most are SPST, the ZZ has a SPDT switch, and it depends on different inputs depending on whether it is pulled or released. When pulled, it wants a feed from the same wire that serves the horn button. If the horn isn't working, that's a sure sign. If it is working, there still could be a problem in that wire, but not for sure.
      Horn works. Very surprised at how loud it was so I hit it a few more times just to be sure, for my neighbors' benefit.

Comment

The clutch switch has three wires coming out of it: Black/Red, Black, and Black/Yellow.

Disconnect the large 9-pin connector for the left handlebar switch cluster.
        Attach a jumper wire so that the Black/Yellow wire is attached to a known good ground.
        Then pull the clutch and try to start.

If it starts, then the Black/Yellow wire has a fault between the clutch switch and the large 9-pin connector for the left handlebar switch cluster.

If it still doesn't start, then the head scratching will continue.
        Last edited by reidmct; 01-21-2020, 04:50 PM.
        How To Cheat on Personality Tests
        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
        (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
        (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
        (c) I never worry much about anything.
        (d) I don't care for books or music much.
        (e) I love my wife and children.
        (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
        From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

The clutch switch has three wires coming out of it: Black/Red, Black, and Black/Yellow.

Disconnect the large 9-pin connector for the left handlebar switch cluster.
          Attach a jumper wire so that the Black/Yellow wire is attached to a known good ground.
          Then pull the clutch and try to start.

If it starts, then the Black/Yellow wire has a fault between the clutch switch and the large 9-pin connector for the left handlebar switch cluster.

If it still doesn't start, then the head scratching will continue.
          Will try it tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

Also check continuity of the switch itself. When pulled it should connect Black to Black/Yellow. When released, Black to Black/Red.
            1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

Comment

It was the clutch switch. Not sure how it managed to get all kinds of crud, cobweb, and corrosion in there. I pulled it apart and cleaned it out thoroughly and now I can start with the clutch in

Comment

Good deal!

Glad it was a free and simple fix
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Yay! Take that as a notice that the other switches may need attention as well. If you are not keen on disassembling them right now, you might just hit them with contact cleaner or even WD40.

Comment

Yay! Take that as a notice that the other switches may need attention as well. If you are not keen on disassembling them right now, you might just hit them with contact cleaner or even WD40.
                    That's what I am going to do this weekend, hit all the electricals. And maybe sync the carbs just for the heck of it Maybe that flat spot will go away.

My second stupid question is how noisy is your fuel pump? Mine makes a clearly audible click click noise that can be heard when it is idling. If I turn the petcock to off, the noise gets amplified. Is my fuel pump dying/struggling to pump gas?
                    Last edited by DesertKyorugi; 01-23-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I never noticed mine while idling, but that's not to say you shouldn't. The clicking is normal since it is an oscillating solenoid type pump, not a spinning motor.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                        I can only start the 1200 in neutral, clutch out, stand up or down.
                        Unlike my ZRX, I cannot start it in any other gear with clutch in.

Starting with clutch out is better for your clutch housing btw.
                        I have just recently noticed that I CAN start in gear, with clutch in, stand up.
                        I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertKyorugi View Post
                          My second stupid question is how noisy is your fuel pump? Mine makes a clearly audible click click noise that can be heard when it is idling. If I turn the petcock to off, the noise gets amplified. Is my fuel pump dying/struggling to pump gas?
                          My fuel pumps (the 1200 has 2) were audible when I turned the key on, before I pressed the go button. I believe it was from the fuel system pressurizing. Normal.
                          Never heard them over the sound of a running engine however.
                          “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

For the ZRX and ZZR11, pulling the clutch lever in overrides the sidestand and neutral switches allowing the bike to start in gear and with sidestand down.
                            With clutch lever out, the bike will not start if the bike is in gear or the sidestand is down. As said above, it is best to start the bike in neutral with clutch lever out, as this increases the life of the badly designed starter chain tensioner and helps avoid outer clutch pressure plate damage if the tensioner is worn out,

Re the fuel pump, it only pumps (clicks) when fuel is needed and stops when the carb float bowls are full by detecting back pressure. The pump does not run unless the engine is running, or is being started on the starter motor.

Comment

Originally posted by purgeraptor View Post
                              For the ZRX and ZZR11, pulling the clutch lever in overrides the sidestand and neutral switches allowing the bike to start in gear and with sidestand down.
                              Yeah, I just spent some time reading the electrical schematic, and you are right. It seems odd to me that they chose to run the side-stand switch in parallel with the clutch ([pulled) switch instead of in series. But they did. It strikes me as an unnecessary safety compromise; a clutch switch malfunction could negate side-stand lockout.

For anyone interested, the schematic: http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/attachme...1&d=1398709233

Comment

Working...
                              X