Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you start the bike with clutch in, kickstand up and neutral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you start the bike with clutch in, kickstand up and neutral?

Stupid question of the day.......Or clutch in, kickstand up and in gear? Cuz mine won't start with the clutch in, which is weird

Bike WILL NOT start if kick stand is down and in gear.

Regardless if bike has clutch pulled in.

Bike has to be in NEUTRAL.

At least that's how it is in my ZX 14.
    Last edited by BIG O; 01-19-2020, 10:12 PM.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertKyorugi View Post
      Can you start the bike with clutch in, kickstand up and neutral?

Or clutch in, kickstand up and in gear?
      Yes, and yes.

How To Cheat on Personality Tests
      1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
      (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
      (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
      (c) I never worry much about anything.
      (d) I don't care for books or music much.
      (e) I love my wife and children.
      (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
      From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post

Yes, and yes.
        Disregard.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I can only start the 1200 in neutral, clutch out, stand up or down.
          Unlike my ZRX, I cannot start it in any other gear with clutch in.

Starting with clutch out is better for your clutch housing btw.
          I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Totally confused now, I can't start with the clutch in(neutral or in gear) and was wondering if maybe my clutch switch is faulty. My other bikes I can start with the clutch in

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

Disregard.
              Did I say something wrong??
              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

Comment

Totally confused now, I can't start with the clutch in(neutral or in gear) and was wondering if maybe my clutch switch is faulty. My other bikes I can start with the clutch in
                That fact set may point to a bad gear position sensor, not a bad clutch switch. However, you are giving incomplete information when you leave out the kickstand position. Info about your other bikes only muddles things.

If in neutral, bike should start regardless of clutch or kickstand position. If not, bad gear sensor.
                If in gear, should start if clutch in and kickstand up. If not, bad clutch switch or kickstand switch.
                If in gear and kickstand down, should not start, regardless of clutch position. If so, bad kickstand switch.

Comment

Just to clarify something: With kickstand UP, and transmission in NEUTRAL, are you saying that it will start ONLY if the clutch lever is out (released), and NOT if clutch lever is in (pulled)?

If that is what you are saying, then it would seem to indicate an unusual short circuit in the clutch switch wiring.

EDIT: Important question: Does your horn work?
                  Last edited by reidmct; 01-21-2020, 07:49 AM.

Comment

IIRC, my 1200 started in any gear, including neutral, if the clutch was pulled in.
                    Exception: It wouldn't start in any gear if the kickstand was down.
                    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Just to clarify something: With kickstand UP, and transmission in NEUTRAL, are you saying that it will start ONLY if the clutch lever is out (released), and NOT if clutch lever is in (pulled)?

If that is what you are saying, then it would seem to indicate an unusual short circuit in the clutch switch wiring.

EDIT: Important question: Does your horn work?
                      That is correct. My bike will NOT start if the clutch is pulled in. Even in neutral it will not start, with kickstand up and clutch in.

I will have to check the horn. Never try it

Comment

That is correct. My bike will NOT start if the clutch is pulled in. Even in neutral it will not start, with kickstand up and clutch in.

I will have to check the horn. Never try it
                        I ask about the horn because I finally realized that the clutch switch on the ZZR is different from many other clutch switches. Whereas most are SPST, the ZZ has a SPDT switch, and it depends on different inputs depending on whether it is pulled or released. When pulled, it wants a feed from the same wire that serves the horn button. If the horn isn't working, that's a sure sign. If it is working, there still could be a problem in that wire, but not for sure.

Comment

Did I say something wrong??
                          Not at all Reid.

I had my head up my ass and realized I was about to post as such.

Comment

Info about your other bikes only muddles things.
                            Now, about my Aprilia?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

Now, about my Aprilia?

You should push start your Aprilia. In other words, you need to shove it.

Comment

Working...
                              X