Sooty E11...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooty E11...

Hi chaps, new to the forum but not to biking in general (been riding for 28yrs) having owned lots and lots over the years, I'm after a bit of info/advice really, I've recently acquired an E11/600 which is in very tidy condition for its age, it's only done 1k miles in the last 5yrs but therein lies the problem, when the bike is fired up it runs fine/idles fairly well until you blip the throttle that is...

On pulling away it's a bit fluffy/woolly/spluttery below about 5.5-6k and then it'll clear its throat and is off like a scalded cat, I also noticed that if the throttle is blipped from idle it coughs a bit of black smoke out the back end which to me means "too rich" so I'm after the standard carb settings so that I can double check/make sure everything is as it should be, is anyone privey to such info and/or able/willing to help me out...

I have a sneaking suspicion (due to the condition of the standard factory silencers) that the bike has had slip-ons on at some point in its life and am presuming that someone will have fiddled with the carb settings to compensate so I'd like to check/double check that everything is as it should be before I start investigating other options...

Many thanks in advance, Jozzer...

Maybe not a setting but a too-large jet. The parts diagrams will show the stock jet sizes so you can compare to what is in there now. FWIW, the stock pilot (idle) jet is a #35.

Or perhaps the PO put a bunch of shims under the main jet needle.
    Last edited by reidmct; 07-07-2019, 07:36 PM.
    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
    (c) I never worry much about anything.
    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
    (e) I love my wife and children.
    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Cheers buddy, yes will need to get in there and have a look at whats going on, it may well just be the choke slide sticking as I've had that before where someone had routed something wrong and it was stopping the slide from returning completely to its off position thus holding the choke slightly on, was just looking for standard settings just in case someone has been in there fiddling about...

many thanks for yer help, Jozzer...
      Last edited by Jozzer; 07-08-2019, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I presume the air filter is in good condition. And though there is no true 'choke' on these carbs, you may be right that the 'choke' cable is mis-routed or out of adjustment and causing the starter plunger valves to be open a little.

https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a...rburetor-parts

And, thinking about adjustments the PO may have made, a definite candidate would be the pilot air screws. (#16014 in above linked diagram). I'm not sure of the standard beginning setting, but often it is roughly 2 and a half turns out. If you have a service manual for the bike, there probably is an 'idle drop' procedure specified for setting them more precisely.
        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

Comment

E11 ???

Comment

NaturalBornKiller, 2003 ZZR600/E11 model buddy...

ReidMCT, as far as I know buddy yes but I haven't actually been in there as of yet, I'm just trying to acquire all the necessary info so that I can do the job/check the settings properly first time round rather than have to pull it all apart umpteen times in a row...

Yes, my initial thoughts were pilots too and from what I can glean from t'internet the stock factory setting for the pilots is 1+7/8's of a turn out, whether that be correct or not is the one vital piece of info that I don't seem to be able to pin down though...

I've just contacted a mate of mine who had the motor/carbs etc off of my last ZZR when I broke it for spares in the hope that he may still have the carbs so that I can take some base settings off of them, just awaiting an answer so fingers crossed eh...

Comment

See this post regarding pilot jet settings:
              https://zzrbikes.com/forum/bikes/zzr...13#post1198813

Comment

Working...
              X