Rearsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rearsets

So when Im driving, I find that my toe touches the ground when im at full lean far before my knee does. Ive tried repositioning my foot to be more on the ball of it but then its uncomfortable and I have less control over the bike. Due to my toe dragging on the ground I also cant get it to lean over any further and im not sing my whole tire which is annoying because it means I could be going faster/harder.

What are your guys recommendations? I know that if i got some new rearsets that sit up about an inch or so higher then that will alleviate the situation, but no spending money on parts and changing technique is a definite option.

"Life's more fun with a knee on the ground."

Re: Rearsets

I can touch down the outside of my boot quite easily if I have the arch of my foot on the peg. I'd suggest that you look at repositioning your foot - I feel like I have much better control with the ball of my foot on the peg.
    "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
      I can touch down the outside of my boot quite easily if I have the arch of my foot on the peg. I'd suggest that you look at repositioning your foot - I feel like I have much better control with the ball of my foot on the peg.
      I try to keep my foot as close to the shifter and just outside the rear brake whenever possible. Ill start working on my footing a bit too see if I can get comfy on it, I was just looking for all the solutions to the problem.

Comment

What I should have also mentioned is that I don't ride with my foot in the same position all of the time. Most of the time, the arch of my foot is on the pegs because it's easier to use the controls. But I move them back when I'm leaning the bike.

It's interesting to watch the racers and how they position their feet.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by DeEnda View Post
          So when Im driving, I find that my toe touches the ground when im at full lean far before my knee does. Ive tried repositioning my foot to be more on the ball of it but then its uncomfortable and I have less control over the bike. Due to my toe dragging on the ground I also cant get it to lean over any further and im not sing my whole tire which is annoying because it means I could be going faster/harder.

What are your guys recommendations? I know that if i got some new rearsets that sit up about an inch or so higher then that will alleviate the situation, but no spending money on parts and changing technique is a definite option.
          Remember that you are on the STREET.

I know a couple of guys that aren't content unless they are dragging pegs, knees, etc...

However, those same guys have wadded their bikes up and ended up in the hospital a couple of time trying to get that last bit of lean angle in an attempt to go faster/harder.

Just sayin.....

You also need to keep in mind that your bike while sporty isn't a superbike with the latest and greatest suspension.

Speaking of, maybe give suspension a thought in your quest for improved peg clearance.

Good luck,

Mike
          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

My recommendation is to save the knee dragging for track days.........says the old, slow, high viz guy.

Comment

I pretty much ride with the pegs between like my toes and ball of my foot.

Almost completely on my toes at all times. Street or track.

I rarely if ever use the rear brake, unless on a dirt road or something.

Shifting is more a motion of moving the foot forward shifting and returning to peg.

Even keeping foot on your toes you will still scrap toes. I actually try not to scrap toes or
              knees because you will get tired of spending the money on toes guards and knee pucks.
              Both will be shot in 1 day and about $50 to replace both.

I'd be afraid to break a foot hanging the toe over.

Get used to riding with your foot up on the peg, which
              will also mean not using the rear brake and moving foot back and forth to shift.

toe-s.jpg

5-m.jpg

Are trying to drag a knee on the road?

Are you wearing leathers with knee pucks?

Better be, touch a knee down with jeans on and you'll leave some skin on the road, instantly.

My street leathers have no knee pucks and if you touch down a knee even with leather it almost
              instantly eats through the leather.

Don't worry about getting a knee down, you will get there. Increasing speed will automatically increase lean angles
              and also start compressing the suspension.
              Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Good points, if you want to get your knee down, learn to do it on a track first. I do lean off this inside of the bike sometimes as it gives you better control, but not quite as far as Marquez as I don't have elbow sliders!

BTW, there was a great slo-mo of him using his elbow to control a front wheel slide at one of the races earlier this year. It's probably on YouTube - I have absolutely NO idea how you could do that.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Balls of the feet for the corners, and shifting your weight to the inside of the turn.
                  KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

95% of the time im just driving casual, like a daily commute type deal, but the other 5% is composed of going to a mountain that ive been driving since ive been driving cars.

My regular riding gear does have knee and toe guards on them so i can get knee or toe down when driving and not worry about scrapping my body up. Already ruined a pair of pants that way.

Its rare that ill use my back break as it is. The only times I use that one is in low speed hairpins to get a bit more turn angle and thats about it. So my next goal is to my foot position set up and see if that aleviates the issue.

To do the suspension on my bike the way I want it, it would run me about 3,000 which is a lot of money for a 4,000 bike with 0 increase in value.

I think Im going to do what you do Moise and keep on the balls of my feet only in the turns. I just dont feel planted enough when im on the balls of my feet.

The Woodcraft rearsets come with standered and GP shifting which may help the issue if I decide to spend the money.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                      Balls of the feet for the corners, and shifting your weight to the inside of the turn.
                      Listen to the old timers on this please ......... On a little different note on my last trip to Arrrrrk I touched down my right mid pipe just below my right foot peg some where ......jimmy you was probably close on 1 2 5. peace

Comment

Yeah Boy!
                        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ-r View Post
                          Listen to the old timers on this please ......... On a little different note on my last trip to Arrrrrk I touched down my right mid pipe just below my right foot peg some where ......jimmy you was probably close on 1 2 5. peace
                          "Listen to the old timers on this please"

Sound advice Troy. I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you want to explore the limits of your bikes lean angles, gear up and hit the track where you'll be infinitely more safe if something goes wrong than if you are on a public road somewhere.

Fast is fun, but be smart about it.

Enjoy the ride!

Comment

I agree with the others. Balls of feet on the pegs when cornering. Also, trying to shift gears mid-corner is a bad idea when leaned over. It could upset the chassis enough to cause you to need to make additional mid-corner adjustments, which in turn could cause you to get it all wrong. Not a happy place.

At my first track day, Arthur had one piece of advice for me . . . "GET THE BALLS OF YOUR FEET ON THE PEG". It soon became second nature. In one of the instructional videos I watched a long time ago, the instructor stated that riding a bike hard was an athletic endeavor. That the first thing athletes do is to get in a ready stance. That the balls of the feet on the pegs was the most athletic position from which to move your body around on the bike.

If you have access to the book by Keith Code titles Twist of the Wrist, give it thorough read. Or find the video form and watch it a couple of times. The vid is kind of hokey by design, to keep you entertained, but make no mistake, it is all great riding instruction.

Comment

Originally posted by dwarthog View Post
                              Originally posted by ZZ-r View Post
                              "Listen to the old timers on this please"

Sound advice Troy. I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you want to explore the limits of your bikes lean angles, gear up and hit the track where you'll be infinitely more safe if something goes wrong than if you are on a public road somewhere.

Fast is fun, but be smart about it.

Enjoy the ride!

Hey Don been thinking about you. How are you mending Hope all is well Peace

Comment

Working...
                              X