Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Recommendations

Hello All,

I am not really in need of tires currently, but with the sales going on now, I figured I buy a pair anyway. I currently have Dunlop Sportmax(just Sportmax is the name, they are the factory tires I believe that came with the bike, I bought the bike with 1,600 miles so I would assume they weren't that worn in the past to change). I would like to stay with Dunlop as I haven't had any issues with my current tires and my dad also has Dunlop's and likes them as well. I am looking at the new series of tires they have out now. I have heard good things about the Sportmax Q3 that just came out, according to Dunlop it is designed for track/street use. The longest ride I would do in a day would be around 100 miles. I have read that the Q3s have much more meat in the center of the tire, and better traction, so theoretically it would last longer. Has anyone had any experience with this tire? I am also open to suggestions on any of the other Dunlop tires, as long as they are the newer models. I also would like some suggestions on other brands of tire as well. I really don't want to be changing tires every year, as I know some brands wear quicker, I am willing to spend some money and have the tire for at least a few years. In a nutshell, I am looking for longevity. Looking at the graphic below, I definitely won't be looking at the Sportmax D211 as I rarely go to the track or race. It will mostly be used for street use. I also was looking at the Sportmax Qualifier as this contains the Street and a little of the Touring category. I also would like to stay with my current tire measurements. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Front:

120/65 56W

Back:

180/55 73W

Thanks,
    Chris

DunlopStreetTireChart.jpg

P.S.: I have around 4,000 miles on it currently. Back has pretty descent tread still front might need to be changed first. I also would like to match tires as well.

Re: Tire Recommendations

Pilot Road 2 or 4. 3 is ok if that's all you can find on sale.

I hated the stock dunflops. would not buy again. YMMV.
    Also did not like Bridgestone Battlax I put on when I needed a front tire in the middle of a trip and that's all they had.

If you're looking to save some cash, I've heard some good things about the Shinko (Verge??)... but have not tried them.

If you're planning to go like a bat out of hell, you;ll want something stickier than the PR's. But for all around riding and long life, the PR's are hard to beat, IMO
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have heard that the Shinkos tend to wear quicker, but not sure. I am definitely looking for something with pretty good grip. I read a review on the PR4 and everything was positive except that the grip started to give a little bit as the reviewer was almost done with his trip(it was around 80-100miles). That complaint was in warm weather, which is what I will be riding mostly in. He mentioned whatever Micheline uses as a material tends to get a little oily in warm weather after a longer use.

Comment

Hey Chris In my opinion any new sport touring or touring tire is good the advances in technology in the last few years is awesome Peace

Comment

Yep, that's it. They don't make bad tires anymore. Buy what's on sale.
          KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

I have the Q3 on the R1. Great tyres, they grip well, the steering is quick but still totally stable, and they make you just want to lean further.

Wear is great, looks like they will last 5000 miles. Only proviso is I haven't ridden in the wet yet.

I got a set for $220 during the winter sales in Feb. Bargain.
            Last edited by Moise; 10-07-2014, 07:57 AM.
            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

PR4s are slippery bastards. I know Conti Road Attack 2s are under recall and they wear out quickly but I never had a moment in the dry on them. Since I put PR4s on I've been sliding like Niall Mackenzie, but without a shred of the mad Scotsman's skill.

Comment

That's the first time I've heard anyone complain of PR4s being slippery. Not that I doubt your opinion at all, as I cannot say anything about them because I have not used them.
                Why buy it when I can make it. I love being a machinist!!

Comment

Do you have a ZZR12? Want a lasting tire with grip? Go with any of the dual compound ST tire and you can't go wrong. Watch for sales on the net. I hear that Jake Wilson consistently has low prices if you want something right away.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
                    Do you have a ZZR12? Want a lasting tire with grip? Go with any of the dual compound ST tire and you can't go wrong. Watch for sales on the net. I hear that Jake Wilson consistently has low prices if you want something right away.
                    The OP has a ZZR600.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

tires 003.JPG

Pirelli Rosso's don't last that long.

Comment

I just installed my Dunlop Roadsmart II's. So far, I like the grip and I feel confident on the road. I was planning to get the Q3's but I got a nice offer on Roadsmart at http://4wheelonline.com. Hope to get 5k miles out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ralhp24 View Post
                          I just installed my Dunlop Roadsmart II's. So far, I like the grip and I feel confident on the road. I was planning to get the Q3's but I got a nice offer on Roadsmart at http://4wheelonline.com. Hope to get 5k miles out of them.
                          I ran a RS2 rear for 6,500 miles on the Zed. I was very happy with it at first but after summer arrived, it would slip a little when having fun in the twisties. After a few heat cycles on hot days during summer, it seemed to permanently lose a little grip. It was still fine to ride on though; if it did slide, it was very progressive and easy to control.

I replaced it with a SportSmart2 (Euro equivalent to Q3) which is a great tyre for the Zed but no way will the rear last 6,500 miles.
                          Last edited by Moise; 10-17-2014, 12:02 PM.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

So looking through the responses...Has anyone had any experience with the Dunlop Qualifiers? As far as wet traction and grip in dry?

Comment

Working...
                            X