Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE: HELP!!!* Given an 06 ZZR600 that sat for 2 years..........?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: HELP!!!* Given an 06 ZZR600 that sat for 2 years..........?

Hi all, Newbie to ZZR and first post here. The victim has 11k miles, starts and idles very rough on choke only, dies as soon as choke is off. Am I better off getting working used carbs off the internet/eBay to start? Problem is, the victim needs a lot of new parts to be rideable and I was thinking I really need to find out quickly if there is anything else wrong with the engine before investing more money/time into it. I can rebuild the carbs later as a spare. The last time the victim is known to be running "well" was more than 3 years ago. It gets moved from time to time for a year before finally sits in the corner outside for the last 2 years.

The long list of abused items besides the carbs are a chain/sprocket, battery, tires, seat/seat covers, brakes, all fluids flush and fill and etc.

Thank you, everyone, in advance.

**Mod(s), very sorry just realized the post ended up in Mods and Upgrades. Please move the post to the appropriate forum topic. Thank you
    Last edited by DesertKyorugi; 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM.

If you have the knowledge, I'd rebuild the carbs.That way you know for sure they are done correctly and won't be another piece of the puzzle to solve if the bike still has running issues. Make sure you drain the tank and add fresh fuel. Maybe even add some Sea Foam as well.

Might as well change spark plugs while you are at it. Check the air filter to see if it is fairly clean.

Basically make sure the bike is getting enough of the three thing needed to get it going.

1.Air
    2. Fuel
    3. Spark

As for "chain/sprocket, battery, tires, seat/seat covers, brakes, all fluids flush and fill and etc.", Most of those items are items that usually end up needing replacing anyway (chain, sprockets, fluids, battery) so not really an "extra" item to worry about.

A used seat should be easily sourced for a decent price.

That all my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Keep us posted and welcome to the forum
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thank you Big O. The last time I rode was about 21 years ago before my son was born. And the last time I rebuilt a carb was when I was a young buck riding dirt bikes and two strokers. The good news is with the internet/youtube, I probably could spend the time and learn to rebuild the carbs and get it done in a day or two.

My main thinking/concern is, is the bike worth the time and trouble to start with rebuilding the carbs? Am I digging myself into a money pit? Used carbs are about $100 - $150 shipped. Carbs rebuild kit is about $200.

Currently waiting for my AAA motorcycle coverage to start before getting the bike tow back to my place. I am thinking I probably can have the used carbs here before the bike gets here. Half a day to get the complete fuel system cleaned and filled with fresh gas, new plugs and check the ignition system, swapped in the used carbs and know what's what with the engine.

OR

Doing all that plus another day or two to rebuild the carbs and then see what's up.

Does anybody have a reliable source for known good used carbs?

Thanks

Comment

The carbs probably don't need to be rebuilt. Probably only need to clean the idle jets. Faster and cheaper than buying unknown carbs on Ebay.
        How To Cheat on Personality Tests
        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
        (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
        (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
        (c) I never worry much about anything.
        (d) I don't care for books or music much.
        (e) I love my wife and children.
        (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
        From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post
          The carbs probably don't need to be rebuilt. Probably only need to clean the idle jets. Faster and cheaper than buying unknown carbs on Ebay.
          Yeah, start with the idle jets and see how it goes.
          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

That's a good idea, Reidmct. Except I have a feeling once I popped it open, I may not be able to stop cleaning and replacing parts

Comment

Or rebuild them

Comment

Welcome to the site.

My first thought when I read your story was what year and size bike are you working with. There are probably many more parts available for decent prices if you have a ZZR600. There were not a lot of 1200's sold here in the US and parts are getting scarce. Second thought was how much you would have invested in the bike vs buying a good used runner. A bike that was left for dead by someone else is likely to have a host of issues, especially if it was left sitting for a long period of time.

In any event, Hope you get out there riding soon. Twenty years is way too long. Welcome back.

Comment

Mehush, that is exactly what I was thinking. This ZZR600 was left for dead but with good condition full fairing. I am just wondering if I should spend the time and money on rebuilding the carbs and find out that's not the cure. I guess in the worst-case scenario I can part it out and get my carb rebuild money back.

Is there a market for rebuilt carbs? What is the average price for a set of used rebuilt carbs?

Comment

Update: I drained and cleaned the gas tank, install a new fuel filter, air filter, and with a lot of cussing, replaced the spark plugs. Removed the carburetors with a lot of choice words, cleaned and rebuilt it with a kit from All Balls Racing. Reinstalling the carburetors was disastrous and I think I messed up the throttle cables. Is it possible to install the throttle cable reversed? There is no throttle free play at all but throttle will snap back nicely. The lower cable stop is full all the way up while the upper cable stop is only half way. What I am getting is a very slow return to idle after throttling it. Sometimes it will hang at high revs after throttling. Should I try to adjust for throttle free play?

I also broke the choke cable stop or it was already broken when I got it Didn't pay attention till now.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by DesertKyorugi; 12-10-2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Can't say for certain on the 600 but the throttle cables can definitely be a PITA to reinstall correctly on the 1200 version. I'm guessing same issue on the 600.

Comment

I managed to bend the cable guide (?) or some metal part near the carb end of the cable that caused a slow return to idle. It was an easy unbend once I found the problem.

On the 1200, another problem source for cable issues was routing under the tank. It was easy to misalign a cable and cause a problem when the tank pressed on it.

Good news is that if the engine is idling and revving smoothly now, the carb issues are fixed and the cable issues should be simple to sort out after a good nights rest...

Oh... and... don't forget to sync the carbs if you haven't done so already..
                        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
                          I managed to bend the cable guide (?) or some metal part near the carb end of the cable that caused a slow return to idle. It was an easy unbend once I found the problem.

On the 1200, another problem source for cable issues was routing under the tank. It was easy to misalign a cable and cause a problem when the tank pressed on it.

Good news is that if the engine is idling and revving smoothly now, the carb issues are fixed and the cable issues should be simple to sort out after a good nights rest...

Oh... and... don't forget to sync the carbs if you haven't done so already..
                          That's probably it. It was late and I was at the point of running out of expletives putting everything back together. Not looking forward to taking it apart to look for problem areas but at least today's weather is much nicer in the 70s.

Thanks again everyone for your help and support. I can't wait to take my first ride after 21 years. And yes ramblin66 the carbs were synched with Amazon sourced cheap sync set

Comment

So, today turns out to not be a good day.....I started the day taking the gas tank and air box off, disassembling the throttle and choke cables, and checking for possible problem areas. I rerouted some of the air hoses(California emissions) to stay clear of the choke slide and put everything back together. Fired it up and I am having even more problems.

Now I am only firing on 3 cylinders. From sitting on the bike, the left-most cylinder( I am calling it cylinder #1) is not firing. Also now the bike idles high at 3000rpm and will not come down. Pulled the plug and it was clean, swapped the ignition coil/plug with the one next to it and the same cylinder is still cold. The motor starts and runs without choke but idles high.

What is going on? HELP!

Comment

See post below.
                              Last edited by BIG O; 12-12-2019, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X