Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zzr600 Mt09 shock conversion

Hi guys, first post here,

​​​​​​I've been working on a conversion bracket that allows fitment of a yamaha Mt09 rear shock to the Zzr600e which allowed me to fit a much newer rear shock absorber to my bike.

The shock I chose only set me back £25 including postage and the bracket I made myself allowed me to retain the length of the factory shock but lifted the rear a little bit which has improved the handling.

The main aim of this project was to improve the quality of the rear shock on a budget instead of stumping up for a hagon or yss shock absorber.

What does everyone think?

Dang, that's purdy. Nicely done.

Comment

Not in the too distant past, I fitted a R6 rear shock to a YZF600 thanks to another online forum. Was a fantastic upgrade for not only me, but with the wife on the back too. If you can re-fit something without too much hassle and the material used is compatible strength for stress reasons, there shouldn't be an issue, and it could be a huge benefit overall. Height might change with the piece you made, changing the handling characteristic.

Comment

I used L168 aluminium. Has a comparable tensile strength to mild steel but much lighter and easier to machine, I could have made it standard height but I wanted it a little higher as I am pretty tall. I kept it low enough to keep using my centre stand though. Any higher and it would have been unusable. Plus the handling would have been too twitchy

Comment

Having had the shock on my original zzr600 and since bought a much cleaner 2004 e12 model. I swapped the shock over and it carries over the much firmer suspension and adjustable damping. I've racked up a few hundred miles and all seems well. The bike is no longer a wallowing mess around moderate speed corners and thanks to the extra ride height it turns from corner to corner much quicker without being unstable. All in all a win I think. And no one wants the Mt09 shocks because they're too harsh on the yamaha from factory so theyre cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Boyle1990 View Post
            I used L168 aluminium. Has a comparable tensile strength to mild steel but much lighter and easier to machine, I could have made it standard height but I wanted it a little higher as I am pretty tall. I kept it low enough to keep using my centre stand though. Any higher and it would have been unusable. Plus the handling would have been too twitchy
            Sounds good to me. Aluminum is good enough for bike frames, it's certainly good enough for this application.

Comment

Great work around!

Definitely increases shock availability.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Boyle1990 View Post
                Hi guys, first post here,

​​​​​​I've been working on a conversion bracket that allows fitment of a yamaha Mt09 rear shock to the Zzr600e which allowed me to fit a much newer rear shock absorber to my bike.

The shock I chose only set me back £25 including postage and the bracket I made myself allowed me to retain the length of the factory shock but lifted the rear a little bit which has improved the handling.

The main aim of this project was to improve the quality of the rear shock on a budget instead of stumping up for a hagon or yss shock absorber.

What does everyone think?
                Nice work! I never thought about it! My approach and what I am currently working on my 2006 E6F ZZR is installing the shock from an Z1000 SX! I chose this because I found it at a relative good price and because it has hydraulic preload adjustment which is a nice option to have! I will update my progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                X