Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way of driving/warming up engine

Hi Guys ,

I just bought a ZZR600 from 2001 with only 35.000 km on it, runs really smooth.
    I'm a first time bike owner and need some advice on, how to drive this beast when cold, as I really want to take good care of it.
    At which RPM should I shift gears when engine is cold, to avoid any kind of engine damage(headgasket, camshaft etc), how exactly are you guys doing it?

And one other thing, I noticed the temperature gauge never rises above 1/4 mark(right after the cold part).
    Searched the forum, seems normal but very strange to me.
    On my dads ZX10 the temperature is always in the center of the gauge, that's why I thought I might have a thermostat problem or something.
    But can you guys confirm that this is a 100% normal temperature behaviour?

Thanks a lot,

Mario
    Last edited by KawaZZR; 05-10-2017, 08:15 AM.

Re: Proper way of driving/warming up engine

Generally speaking, I allow the engine to warm up for a couple minutes in the morning. Depending on which way I head for work will dictate whether I have a 3 mile ride to the freeway. In that span of time, I don't generally get after it, and tend to keep rpm's down below 4~5,000 rpm's, and short shifting to get things lubricated. Max posted speed is 35mph between house and freeway, and there are normally a few of the local police still on patrol from the nights activities, so I am generally respectful and don't intend to draw attention to myself. However, hit the freeway, and it is no holds, getting a fist full of happy handle.

During the day or after short, very short breaks, I don't tend to warmup any. If the bike has sat for 4-5 hours, I give it the normal light choke start, let it warm while putting on helmet and gloves. Get out of parking area and generally don't get above 5~6,000 rpms in 1st/2nd gear. That is plenty fast for most surface streets in congested or moderate congested areas. Same thing though, see temp rise on the gauge and things are generally good to get a handful.

Everybody is different so your results may vary. And the above is generally speaking, not hard and fast every time, each time I throw my leg over it.

ON EDIT: WELCOME to the site!!!!

Comment

Welcome and congrats.

Your pops should of handed down the ZX10 and got himself a new bike

These engines are virtually indestructible and would be very hard to hurt
      one no matter what you do to them.

About the only thing I personally wouldn't do is hold it to the rev limiter in neutral.

I worry far more about bringing my cold tires up to temp when first heading out
      then whether the engines warmed up or not.

I always take it easy for a couple of miles let the tires warm up and you
      are good to go.
      Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Start it.

Let it idle for a few minutes.

Take off.

As Piken said, be careful on cold tires and cold pavement
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thank you all for brilliant replies , I'll definitely follow your instructions to take good care of this beast.
          But about the temperature staying at 1/4 all the time, what's the point with this, isn't it better that the engines operating temperature is a bit greater than the 1/4 mark?
          Last edited by KawaZZR; 05-10-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

The gauge is meaningless.

As long as you are not spewing coolant
            out of the overflow you are good to go.

Seriously that's about as much attention as that needs.

Better things to think about like.... braking markers, turn in points and apexs!
            Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Welcome! I had an '03 ZZR600, I miss those luggage latches on the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
                The gauge is meaningless.

As long as you are not spewing coolant
                out of the overflow you are good to go.

Seriously that's about as much attention as that needs.

Better things to think about like.... braking markers, turn in points and apexs!
                Alright, I suppose I could just ignore the gauge. But when can I expect the engine to reach operating temp, 10 min of driving?

Comment

It doesn't matter. You can't hurt it, unless you're trying to. I bang my stuff off the limiter all the time. Just ride it.
                  KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Right, thanks a lot fellows

Comment

I know on the ZZR12 that the temp always reads low on the gauge even when the bike is fully up to temp. Mine never got any more than a quarter through the range.

I always give my bikes(cars too) a couple of minutes of idling before I ride them. It just seems to make good sense to me. And then a good couple minutes more riding before I feel she is ready rock and roll.

And as said by others, I am always mindful that my tires have some heat in them before I put any serious lean on.

Congrats on the bike, and welcome to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
                        I know on the ZZR12 that the temp always reads low on the gauge even when the bike is fully up to temp. Mine never got any more than a quarter through the range.

I always give my bikes(cars too) a couple of minutes of idling before I ride them. It just seems to make good sense to me. And then a good couple minutes more riding before I feel she is ready rock and roll.

And as said by others, I am always mindful that my tires have some heat in them before I put any serious lean on.

Congrats on the bike, and welcome to the site.
                        Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                          It doesn't matter. You can't hurt it, unless you're trying to. I bang my stuff off the limiter all the time. Just ride it.
                          Must remember that ...
                          "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Pretty much what everyone else has said. I usually let it idle while I put my gloves on, maybe a bit longer if it's a cold morning or the bike was outside overnight. I take it easy until the water temperature starts to come up.

Just watch the tyres for the first half mile or so if it's cold, although modern, high silica compounds don't seem to need much warming up at all.
                            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                              Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                              Must remember that ...
                              I suppose the newer, fuel injected bikes are limited a bit better than the older carbed bikes... When I had a choke, I would run it about two minutes at about 2 grand. Then it was on like donkey Kong.
                              KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X