Left Boot Full of Oil After Trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Boot Full of Oil After Trips

Hello! Something annoying from the first days after buying my 2006 E6F ZZR 600 is that after even short trips the front part of my left boot is oily! I tried to figure out where the oil is coming from and I am quite sure that it is coming from the front sprocket cover! I changed the seal from the front sprocket shaft but the problem persists! I am planning to change the seal of the gear selector to see if this corrects the problem! I just wonder if there isn’t any problem and the sprocket cover just don’t protect as it should! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you do an oil change recently? If you did, might want to check quantity. Overfilling, even incidentally, you could spit oil all over yourself. And a small amount of oil can look like a fair amount. Other things to check is drain plug, and stator cover (lower side), look around for where is the wettest area and narrow it down from there. Might have to let it sit at idle while you monitor where the oil is coming from.

Comment

Quit riding til it's fixed. Oil on tires equal bad news.
      KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Any chance you are over-lubing your chain and the excess chain lube is flinging from your front sprocket cover onto your boot?

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
        ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Clean the entire area of all oil and crud, hit the whole area with a heavy dose of baby powder, take for a short ride and have a look.

Comment

Can you post a pic of the leak?
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I guess that leak is fixed? We hope anyway.
              "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
              but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Hello! The problem still exists! It has nothing to do with engine oil change or excess oil from the chain because I left the chain without oil on purpose to check and the results were the same! As I said I will replace the gear selector seal but I haven’t find time yet! I maybe also try the baby powder idea that was mentioned above! Thanks!

Comment

Keep us posted.
                  I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Mystery (partially) solved! I wasn’t riding for a long time but the days before I found time to deal with the problem! I cleaned the whole area thoroughly, I replaced the gear selector shaft seal, I removed and reinstalled the neutral safety switch and I went for a fast ride for 30 minutes! When I returned I removed the front sprocket cover and voila... the malfunction revealed! The oil is coming from the front sprocket drive shaft seal that I had already replaced once! The question is, did I install it badly, was the seal faulty or there is something wrong with the shaft? I ordered the seal to replace it one more time and I will let you know! Thanks!

Comment

Glad you figured it out and it isn't something that is too costly to replace.

Comment

Provided that it is the seal again (since I have already replaced it once) and not something with the shaft! Will see!

Comment

Originally posted by Christoslazy View Post
                          Provided that it is the seal again (since I have already replaced it once) and not something with the shaft! Will see!
                          Hopefully not a bearing.

How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                          1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                          (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                          (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                          (c) I never worry much about anything.
                          (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                          (e) I love my wife and children.
                          (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                          From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post

Hopefully not a bearing.
                            That’s what I’m afraid of! Let’s see!

Comment

I had a problem with a water pump seal last year. Replaced the seal and a few months later had a leak again. I cleaned the shaft surface that the seal rides on with some chrome polish, installed a new seal, and and no more leak.

Comment

Working...
                              X