Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZZR1200 to Z1000SX - how do they compare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZR1200 to Z1000SX - how do they compare?

I've been looking at newer bikes to add to the fleet or replace the Zed'12 for some time, partly because I'm starting to get a bit bored of the current bike having ridden zzr 11 and 12's since 1998, covering over 300,000 miles on them, but also because for the beginning of 2020 I'll be forced to buy a new bike to comply with new low emission rules come into effect in London. This means I will need a compliant bike that needs to be 2007 or newer or I will have to pay >£12 a day.

So I've been looking at GTR1400's for a while but have some reservations about it's size and weight when most of my daily commute involves filtering, they also seem to hold there value here in the UK compared to the ZZR1400 (which I don't want). However the GTR is a great bike, has all the toys and good weather protection for the winter.

The only other option that seems to compare favourably to the Zed '12 is the Z1000SX and I've been looking online at a few that have full factory luggage, it's a good looking bike with a fairly upright position, 135-140 BHP, plenty of torque and similar weight and comes with TC and ABS amongst other toys.

I'm currently looking for one nearby at a dealer to test ride, but wondered what your collective experiences can tell me about the bike compared to the ZZR'12?

In particular the following:
    Low speed manoeuvrability
    Wet weather protection for head and shoulders and lower legs and feet
    Fuel economy
    Ability to change the final drive gearing making it longer to improve MPG
    Performance of the headlight
    Ability to service and repair the bike myself
    Aftermarket parts availability for touring screens and other goodies.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
    ZZR1200 C1H '02, purchased 20/10/2013 68,000 miles
    The 100,000+ mile club
    Retired: ZZR1200 C1H "The WiZarD"
    Owned from new in Aug '02, 164,000 miles

"Quiet people have the loudest minds.” ~ Stephen Hawking

Re: ZZR1200 to Z1000SX - how do they compare?

I can comment on the GTR(we call them C-14's over here). I have a 2011 model.

Wind and rain protection is excellent as you know. A great many riders opt to replace the windscreen due to helmet buffeting, when my wife puts her helmet too close to mine at speed I get terrible helmet wiggle no matter with the screen up or down. And with the screen up it feels like someone is pushing my helmet from behind. The stock seat sucks.

Fit and finish is very good. But that nice bodywork does not come off easily. Most services require added time, the construction of this bike is rather complex.

The engine is nice. Not awe inspiring, but nice. A few pricey options can wake it up some.

It is heavy by my account. I am 5'10" and 200#. With my wife on the back I find it to be very top heavy and difficult to move around slowly. However, the weight melts away with speed.

It handles well, just not like a sport bike. It is an extremely good hiway machine. I have done a number of big mile days and this thing just eats up the miles effortlessly.

The brakes are good and strong. They are linked and cannot be undone. The result is kind of weird feeling if you use the front and rear at the same, but the result is still good and strong. I have not had the occasion to use the ABS yet, but other riders report that it works well.

I love the saddlebags. Mine stay on all the time.

I get around 41-42 miles per gallon of gas.

It does seem to eat tires, at least for me. I have seen lots of reports of guys getting 10K+ miles out of a set of tires. My experience is 6K or less, even with touring tires.

Overall, I like the bike a lot. I got mine cuz I wanted to do trips, and to be able to ride my wife on the back. It does both very well. I put a top case on to use as a back rest for the wife and she loves it.

If I did not need to carry a passenger I would have opted for a smaller bike that could still tour.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the search.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
      I got mine cuz I wanted to do trips, and to be able to ride my wife on the back. It does both very well. I put a top case on to use as a back rest for the wife and she loves it.
      Is it just me and my mind in the gutter or does that read completely different to how it's meant to be interpreted?
      The 100,000+ mile club

Comment

Thanks MeHush, that helps confirm my thoughts on the GTR-C14 and re-enforces the fact that it is really too heavy and unstable at low speed for filtering on such a regular basis, the other concern for me is the mirrors being the same height as most cars wing mirrors.

There is occasionally a GTR minus panniers that I see on my commute and I usually pass it because of the size of it and having to squeeze through gaps where I just slide through.
        The 100,000+ mile club

Comment

Originally posted by harby View Post
          Originally posted by mehush View Post
          I got mine cuz I wanted to do trips, and to be able to ride my wife on the back. It does both very well. I put a top case on to use as a back rest for the wife and she loves it.
          Is it just me and my mind in the gutter or does that read completely different to how it's meant to be interpreted?
          You should give it a try.

Comment

Working...
          X