Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lions, Tigers, and driveshaft clunk, oh my!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions, Tigers, and driveshaft clunk, oh my!

I was on my way to see my daughter's track meet this afternoon and I felt a slight "clunking" through the pegs and handle bars and thought to myself "now what did I screw up since the C14 is so dead nuts reliable?" I turned my music down on my Sena and slowed to pull over, and I started hearing a rhythmic clunking that at first sounded like it was coming from the front end [I guess the C14 is somewhat of a ventriloquist along with it's many other talents].

I put my bike on the side stand and got down on all fours and started peeking around the front wheel and radiator area, nothing out of the norm just lots of brake dust and dead bugs. Then I go around to each side and rear to find nothing. Now I am really scratching my head. Then the light bulb goes off, "put it on the centerstand you big dummy." I put in neutral and start rolling the rear wheel forward and don't hear anything so I start the bike and put it in 1st and the clunk makes itself known close to the output on the transmission.

Not sure if the output can clunk also but that seems to be where the noise is located. Needless to say, I will be visiting the dealer tomorrow. What really sucks is that the weather is so great and I will probably miss out on quite a bit of riding. Maybe I can sweet talk the service manager into letting my take an extended test ride on one of their used bikes. Fat chance.

Re: Lions, Tigers, and driveshaft clunk, oh my!

I had a clunk in mine also. It was heard sitting still when I would move the bike around. Dealer tore it apart under warranty and found nothing. That was about a year plus ago. I did some research at the time and some guys on the COG site had a problem. It might be worth a visit over there....

Comment

Sorry to hear that, JD. Hope you get it lined out before ES.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
        Sorry to hear that, JD. Hope you get it lined out before ES.
        You and me both! The longest part will be getting the required parts shipped to the dealer.

Comment

Just what did they say it was JD?
          I've had mine apart servicing the drive splines at the front and noticed nothing.
          Ya it was a little dry but slapped some Moly on and no problems.
          Did the carrier bearing in the case frag or what?
          Rear output bearing?
          What gives...

Comment

Likely the front u-joint.

I hope they get it sorted soon, Homeboy. If not, I'll bring the ol' Ladies bike down for you to ride.
            You're not missing the big Rally in ES. No way, no how.
            KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

They tore mine apart and found nothing...No wear marks on the inside of the housing, no bad or sloppy U joints and the splines were all good. I have not noticed it since they put it back together. Speculation was whatever alignment or balance issue was cured with there tear down and reassembly. Did you look at the issues on the COG site? Whatever you do dont post a thread just search....

Comment

Do keep us informed! Mine has always clunked backing it out of the garage, but no noise or vibes while riding. BTW, what's your year and mileage?
                "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

2008 with 45,000 miles. Hopefully the dealer will call me early next week to let me know what the issue is. If I knew for certain that riding it like it is wouldn't grenade the drive shaft or output I would just ride until this winter. Maybe it will be something simple.

Comment

Final verdict................ drumroll please..........

Dry splines. Pretty anticlimatic, huh? They were lubed late last summer, but I guess I ride enough that I should add some grease more than once a year. They also said the rear wheel bearings were on the way to going bad. Hmmm, shoddy All Balls bearings or did I screw them up when I installed them? I do remember that the front bearings were quite a bit easier to install than the rear. All of this was covered by the GTPP. I figured that I would at least be on the hook for the bearings but Stahlman Powersports in Rolla really took care of me and my bike on this one.
                    Back to your normal oil/tire/KiPass thread.

Comment

Cool beans!
                      KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JDMitchell View Post
                        Final verdict................ drumroll please..........

Dry splines. Pretty anticlimatic, huh? They were lubed late last summer, but I guess I ride enough that I should add some grease more than once a year. They also said the rear wheel bearings were on the way to going bad. Hmmm, shoddy All Balls bearings or did I screw them up when I installed them? I do remember that the front bearings were quite a bit easier to install than the rear. All of this was covered by the GTPP. I figured that I would at least be on the hook for the bearings but Stahlman Powersports in Rolla really took care of me and my bike on this one.
                        Back to your normal oil/tire/KiPass thread.
                        All Balls is normally pretty good stuff and their customer service is great also (ask Shotgun). Glad it wasn't something more serious (costly) and time consuming.

Comment

Glad to hear

Comment

Now you have me thinkin'. I pulled the wheels to get new tires. Took them to the dealer to get them mounted. No moly paste in stock, so they had to order it. They busted the rear TPMS. Delivered the bike to get that replaced. I specifically asked if they were gonna grease the splines. I have the moly now. Pullin' the rear to check tomorrow.

Everything that rises must converge.

Comment

Working...
                            X