Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

—» Want more? Road Trips & Planning

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1020 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Microwave for Visually Impaired?

Senior Member Guru

Microwave for Visually Impaired?

I have a relative who is a senior citizen, visually impaired and hearing impaired. Her sight and sound work but not well. She has an ancient microwave and my wife realized that we could really help her out if we replaced her microwave with a modern one. Does anyone have any experience with these and any recommendations for a microwave?

thanks!
    Cooter
    2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200, 2007 DRZ400SM Suzuki, 2004 Suzuki SV65
    Responsible for wrenching on all those plus my daughters' 2007 ZZR 600
    US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ro...kes/index.html
    EU Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...es/ZZR1200.htm

Hunt, Texas (Heart of the fabulous Hill Country)

Re: Microwave for Visually Impaired?

All I can offer is to consider whether she might have any mental impairment (early Alzheimers, etc.) before getting her anything new. If she does, it's likely that she'll have a lot of trouble adapting to the new machine, and she may end up not using it at all.

Tread gently, slowly, cautiously. If you do get her something new, don't discard the old one until you're sure she can/will use the new one.
    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
    (c) I never worry much about anything.
    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
    (e) I love my wife and children.
    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XXXXL View Post
    Looks like the 2nd one has a knob and not buttons, which will probably make it easier, too.

Senior Member Guru

You guys ROCK! Great ideas!

I have seen the one that WalMart no longer carries - it had good reviews but would be a pretty significant learning curve. Her current one has one power (on) and the rotary dial for time. No turntable though, so she is not happy. The one Mark mentions has power and time in knobs plus the turntable so that would be perfect. Or at least maybe it would.

Commenting on Reidmct's suggestion - Totally and 100% on target.

Here's my story. Grandma has a 486/dx4 with 256mb of RAM she uses with her $500 reader/magnifier program. She's running XP. Wife is visiting Granny and laments the one minute wait for screens to draw and gets the bright idea we can help. Sure I said... so we prep the wife's old laptop for Granny. It's got 3GB, Celeron 1.6ghz, 50GB drive, a nice box running Vista. Now Vista was a POS but after two years of patches this one runs darn good and stable.

We visit Granny and other family in that town - 200 miles away from our home. Granny is excited about the laptop - it's got a better screen, more power, got her a separate keyboard, speakers, and it's all working with her $500 program. Now Windows reader and magnifier will do the same thing at no extra cost but Granny can't learn how to do that stuff, and since she bought the program she's on it until the end.

We leave, all is working great, etc. Granny calls - computer is f**ked up, got problems, she can't get to bank web site (I saved favorites on desktop), nothing works, life is crap. She is wife's mother, and calls up wife's pizza shop owner brother who tells her Vista is the total problem, it's a POS, total crap. I was going to buy wife a new laptop so Granny figures we're giving her a substandard unit not realizing hers was from the Stone Age.

In the follow-up we get wife's sister to unplug laptop, put away, and plug in the 486. Granny is happy and wants to donate our laptop to her church. While I'm a generous guy, we wanted this one back. We did finally retrieve it a month later, wife is happy, Granny is happy, and I promise to never try and upgrade Granny. Until now I guess.

Moral of the story - Granny does not take change worth a darn.

Thought - go with the simplest one (knobs) that requires the least change. If we do anything at all.

Thanks guys!

Senior Member Miyagi-san jimmymac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXXL View Post
    Looks like the 2nd one has a knob and not buttons, which will probably make it easier, too.
    That one is no longer offered.
    Maybe they just came out with an updated one. Usually the new ones have a Start/1 minute button. If it could be highlited with paint, it could be the magic button.

That's what I do with mine. Just hit it as many minutes as you want, and screw the rest.
    KN, this ride's for You.

Senior Member Guru

We ordered Granny one of these from Wally-Mart. About $58 shipped to our house, and we will deliver.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-0.6-...White/14897479

Thanks gents!

Senior Member Guru

As the saying goes, no good goes unpunished and this is no different. I got a call today that Granny, with help from sister-in-law, was returning it to Wal-Mart. Seems it was not working reliably and both of them verified it. She swapped it for a more modern one. She can't read the directions though and it's probably programmable.

Perhaps her friend chided her for using one with twist knobs for controls? At any rate, Granny gets gift cards from here out. I'm still working with sister-in-law to get her daughters pc fixed, the one I got for her at Costco, and she told me it was broken 3 day out of the 2 year warranty. AMEX is warrantying it but there are hoops to jump through and she has to pay for a repair estimate.

At this point I'm done with all of this for relatives and friends. WTF!