Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

—» Want more? Road Trips & Planning

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1379 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What bike would you choose to ride from Florida to Alaska?

Re: What bike would you choose to ride from Florida to Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    According to Jimmy, you could spoon on some knobbies and win a Gold Medal in The ISDT.
    Only if you're on a Connie. The 1200 won't do it.

If nothing else, at least you're consistent.

Senior Member Disciple lifguardct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbsuperbiker View Post
    Another consideration for me, even as an experienced rider, I am 5' 8" tall and don't fit every motocycle.
    Although the C14 is not too tall for me and I do not need to touch the ground flat footed, some of the adventure bikes are so tall that I can't even see the ground.
    I have several lanky buddies with GS series BMWs...besides the fact that they are boring to ride on the highway (that means slow), I can't see the ground from the seat.
    As far as the V-Strom...see above comments.
    I would vote for the V-Strom, but for the height... They are very tall.
    Rather than a 1200 Bandit I would take a ZRX1200 but they are both 5-speeds, how about a Bandit 1250 or First gen FZ1?
    Chuck**
    2007 Diablo Black ZX-14...*****I am also a Former ZZR1200 Owner.

Senior Member Sensei dbsuperbiker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lifguardct View Post
    Another consideration for me, even as an experienced rider, I am 5' 8" tall and don't fit every motocycle.
    Although the C14 is not too tall for me and I do not need to touch the ground flat footed, some of the adventure bikes are so tall that I can't even see the ground.
    I have several lanky buddies with GS series BMWs...besides the fact that they are boring to ride on the highway (that means slow), I can't see the ground from the seat.
    Rather than a 1200 Bandit I would take a ZRX1200 but they are both 5-speeds, how about a Bandit 1250 or First gen FZ1?
    Good suggestions. Didn't Suz make a faired and bagged version of the 1250 Bandit? A frame mounted fairing/screen would be much better that a handlebar fairing in the high winds of the North America plains.

Good suggestions. Didn't Suz make a faired and bagged version of the 1250 Bandit? A frame mounted fairing/screen would be much better that a handlebar fairing in the high winds of the North America plains.
    I think the 1250S actually came out before the unfaired version, unlike the timeline of the 1200/1200S air-oil cooled older model. Not sure about the factory bags, but check out www.twistedthrottle.com for GIVI bags and mounts for the Bandito.

Here ya go Arthur....this thread is full of street bikes converted to enduro hybrid "beasts" There is some classic old iron in here.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330726

Senior Member Disciple lifguardct's Avatar

The fairing is frame mounted and I think they may offer OEM bags.
    http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suz..._1250_2008.php

VIP/Contributing Member Master mehush's Avatar

Is Wanda going?

Here's another thought. Ride your Connie to Wash. state and rent something once you get there. Seems a waste to buy another bike that would be a competent dirt-roader, but would be a compromise for such a large part of the trip.

This thread has gotten me thinking about what I missed out by not going all the way to the Arctic Ocean. If you use Google maps you can view the road. In places you can use the street view and see the road surface. Where it is gravel it is hard packed. A ZZR or C14 should have no problem as long as you have decent tires. No telling what it will be like if it rains. I may not make it back up there on a bike but I am considering the trip in a vintage air cooled VW. Either a bug or a bus. Not sure which yet.

Don't trust Google street view to give you a true picture of the road surface. When we went to the MotoGP a couple of years ago, I street viewed the road in front of the motel and it looked fine when actually there was a pothole big enough to lose a VW in right in front of the motel driveway. They blur things so you can't read signage (probably a lawyer thing) and that takes away all the important detail.

Hunt, Texas (Heart of the fabulous Hill Country)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Don't trust Google street view to give you a true picture of the road surface. When we went to the MotoGP a couple of years ago, I street viewed the road in front of the motel and it looked fine when actually there was a pothole big enough to lose a VW in right in front of the motel driveway. They blur things so you can't read signage (probably a lawyer thing) and that takes away all the important detail.
    +1

The Haul Road is a beast best tamed with spoked wheels and low speeds. There is a reason why car rental companies prohibit their cars being driven north of Coldfoot or even Fairbanks. The road is rough in the summer. It is better in winter, but you wouldn't want to ride a motorcycle then.

The potholes, gravel traps, mud, and other perils of the northern reaches of the Haul Road are legendary... and true.
    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
    (c) I never worry much about anything.
    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
    (e) I love my wife and children.
    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956